1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Shuts Off Suddenly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jgc77, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jgc77

jgc77 Thread Starter

I have a:
    -Pentium III
    -667 MHz CPU
    -512 MB of ram
    -Windows XP
    -ATI Radion 7000 Video card
    -Linksys Ethernet card

Hi Everyone,

Computers never cease to amaze me. Just when I think that the computer is running "the way it should be", the damn thing restarts on me. It happened a few days ago while playing Madden 2003. It happened this morning, while printing a picture, I decided to close Paint Shop Pro. For some reason, I am leaning towards this being a video card problem. More specifically, I think there is a conflict between the video card driver and several programs on the computer (i.e. graphic intensive). It has always been my understanding that a computer is SUPPOSED to remain ON until you tell it to TURN OFF. I hope someone on this amazing board can HELP ME OUT!!

Thanks In Advance,
    jgc77

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

I'm assuming that you've confirmed that your CPU fan is working properly? (in case it's overheating)

Check out this site....if you don't have this driver, then try downloading and installing it:

http://mirror.ati.com/support/infobase/3985.html

I know that the specific error they mention doesn't really apply to you, but it might help your problem.

You could also disable your computer from automatically restarting with system errors. Right-click on My Computer, go to Properties, then Advanced, then Settings (under Startup and Recovery), then take the checkmark off "Automatically Reboot". This is probably what's causing it to reboot....while you're working on something that deals with graphics, and the system generates an error, it automatically reboots.

These are just a couple of suggestions.

Columbo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115084