1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts off suddenly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LordPython, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LordPython

LordPython Thread Starter

Lately, my computer has been shutting itself off suddenly, followed by a loud high-pitched constant tone, which lasts until I turn the power off on the power supply. When I turn the computer back on, I get a blue screen that says there was an error and the system has been shut down. If I leave it off for about 10 minutes and turn it back on, it will come on fine, but eventually shut off again. A friend of mine mentioned that this may be a motherboard issue, so I'm just wondering what everyone here thinks.

Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

maybe a temperature problem
    if you switch back on and gointo the bios do you have a pc health area you can look at CPU temperature settings

usually the noise warning is a twotone alarm - but it may change with a different bios

how old is PC = it may be worth taking a vacuumcleaning and opening the box and getting rid of dirt and fluff from cpu fan and other fans - be careful you dont dislodge anything

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. LordPython

AHHHH. I had my response all typed up and right before I hit Submit, I accidently clicked the "Back" button on my mouse....grrr, ok, here I go AGAIN.

I don't think it's my CPU fan, I just installed a new one a little while ago, cause my old one died on me. I also keep one side of my case open because my temp gets too hot if it's all closed up.

Here is the info from the Sensors View:

Temp:
    Cpu: 36C / 97F
    Sys: 34C / 94F
    Aux: 57C / 135F
    HD0: 48C / 119F

Fans:
    CpuFan: 4688 RPM
    SysFan: 0 RPM
    AuxFan: 0 RPM

I do have a second fan on my motherboard that IS spinning. I also have a second hard drive that isn't showing up.... Also, as I type this, I am getting alarms from Sensors View that my CPU temp is spiking to temps between 80C/171F - 85C/185F and then drops back down to the temp listed above. I don't know what could be causing this.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Your temops are acceptable but the spikes show the problem and I would just bet the fan is either not on full all the time or the heat synch is full of crud or the heat/synch and fan need cleaning off cpu grease and reapplied layer of Arctic Silver...

7. LordPython

Well, I haven't noticed the fan speed slowing at all, so I guess I can try cleaning it. Where can I get Arctic Silver, should pretty much any PC retailer sell it?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Should find in almost any pc shop...

9. Slipaway172

Slipaway172

sounds like a bad powersupply. if you have a spare laying around. use it for testing.

10. LordPython

Err, I ment my Power Supply. I just installed a new power supply.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480643