1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts off, then I get the Blue Screen of Death. Need help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LordPython, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LordPython

LordPython Thread Starter

Every now and then (probably once every two days) my computer will all of the sudden shut off, and a loud, steady, high-pitched tone will sound until I press my power button. Sometimes even this won't stop it and I have to flip the power switch on my power supply. If I turn my PC back on right away I get the following Blue Screen error:

Code:
    Stop: C000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000402 (0x00000000 0x00000000). 
    The system has been shut down.
    However, once I turn my PC off, if I leave it off for a few minutes, it will come back just fine. I did some reasearch on this error and found microsoft's solution to it. It says it has something to do with a file that is trying to be renamed, but can't due to it still being in memory. It listed a fix for it, but the fix didn't make any since. One, I don't think I need to do a parallel installation of my WinXP Pro, because I am guessing that the problem they are describing is for people who can't load windows at all. So I tried following the directions, but I got confused. I have listed the directions below, can someone tell me if 1. This will work, and 2, if it will, how to do it? (I have made my comments in bold below, I am assuming they are talking about the regedit.exe program):

1. Create a parallel installation of Windows NT.For additional information how to do so, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    259003 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259003/EN-US/) How and Why to Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows NT 4.0
    2. Start your computer to the parallel installation of Windows NT, and then start Registry Editor.
    3. On the Window menu, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine.
    This I don't see, all I have is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    4. On the Registry menu, click Load Hive.
    Here is where I get completely lost, I don't know what is ment by Registry menu, and I don't see a Load Hive.
    5. Type the path to the System hive of the prior installation, typically %systemroot%\system32\config\system, and then click Open.
    6. When you are prompted for the name of the key, type TEST, and then view the following registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST\Select
    7. Note the setting for the Current DWord value in the preceding registry key. This is typically 0x1, and is represented as CURRENT:Reg_Dword:0x1. This value indicates that the "CurrentControlSet" for your original Windows NT installation corresponds to ControlSet001 in this window. A value of 2 would indicate that the "CurrentControlSet" for your original Windows NT installation would correspond to ControlSet002, and so on.
    8. Locate the following registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST\ControlSetXXX\Control\Session Manager
    where XXX is the CurrentControlSet that you identified in the preceding step.
    9. Under the Session Manager key, note and then delete any PendingFileRenameOperations entries.
    10. Click the TEST hive, and then click Unload Hive on the Registry menu.
    11. On the Registry menu, click Load Hive.
    12. Type the path to the Software hive of the prior installation, typically %systemroot%\system32\config\Software, and then click Open.
    13. When you are prompted for the name of the key, type TEST2.
    14. Remove any PendingFileRenameOperations entries in the following registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST2\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST2\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    15. Click the TEST2 hive, and then click Unload Hive on the Registry menu.
    16. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your original installation.

2. LordPython

Could this possibly be caused my a service not running? When I run services.msc I get a list of what looks to be around 50-75 services, and only 11 of them are running, the rest are Disabled. This happened (somehow) a little while back, causeing a few other problems that were fixed by enabling certian services.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The high pitched tone suggests a hardware fault being detected at the motherboard level.

Perhaps overheating or a power supply/voltage issue.

Since leaving the computer off for a bit seems to help -- heat is a strong suspect.

You want to check to see that the fan is working and the case is not clogged with dust.

If you have the ability to monitor temps or voltages you should do so.

Speedfan may be of some help. I think the Stop message is secondary to the hardware issue -- but you may be suffereing some registry damage or user profile damage.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

4. LordPython

Well, I have made mental notes of what I was doing when the computer shuts off. I have been trying to avoid using those programs, and my computer has been up and functioning properly for about 4 days now. I am guessing I have a bad spot on my C drive, and when a program access it, that's what causes the computer to shut off and me to get the blue screen when I boot up. Is there a program I can use to check my C drive, and repair any damage that might be causing it to shut off?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well you can run chkdsk on it, but your best bet is to go to the drive vendor's site and get a diagnositic utility there.

I don't think any drive issues would cause a motherboard alarm to go off.

Have you tried using Speedfan to monitor temps and voltages? Are you seeing any flames or other out of range messages?

6. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

I would think some sort of hardware issue also. Although with stop errors it could be hard to track down. Certainly check your mobo and cpu temps and voltages. It does sound like a heat shutdown. But, it may also be another type of hardware error. Try unplugging everything except your kb, mouse and monitor and start it up. see if you get the same problems.

7. danbeherenow

danbeherenow

I would definitely recommend you opening up your computer and clearing out the dust..

I had many problems with the power resetting itself or drivers failing, usually when creating dvd disc's the systems CPU and Memory is so used up it just crashes !!

I was actually recommended by someone who suffered the same problem to completely clean out the computer. Disconnecting all wires (hardrives, cpu fan coolers from the motherboard.. taking out the PCI/AGP boards (ie the graphics card, sound card) and giving them a clean with some kind of dust free device. I used cotton wool, ear buds are also good for cleaning the hard to reach places.

I also cleaned out the power supply unit it took a while taking the screws out and i did forget where some of the leads went (so make sure you make a note of them lol)..

Its worth it in the end, the computer runs smoother a lot faster - without annoying sounds it used to make.. and best of all no device problems, no restarts and i can make dvds :)

Its highly highly recommended.

Dan

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice