1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shuts off while Converting videos to dvd

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by samyyy, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samyyy

samyyy Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for your interest and trying to help. Any Advice that would help me fix this problem would be great. I brought my computer in to get a tune up and to put in a dvd-burner with convertxtodvd. I used this with divx for a couple months without a problem. Divx update popped up on my computer 1 day and I accepted to get updates as I usually would with most programs. From that moment on when trying to convert a video or even a deep scan in my virus software shuts off my computer. I took my computer back in he checked everything, power supply, overheating, fan,cpu and lots that i am not capable of doing myself.
    Now what he told me was that there was divx codec error or and it was conflicting with other "codecs"???? So i came home and i had no divx to watch movies on stagevu so i installed it within 30min of me getting home. Now he did the full test of trying my converter program and running virus scan. Everything was ok. As soon as i did this and tried to convert, it crashed again. here are my spec from what i got from here and i can provide more info if needed with basic instructions.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 202255 MB;
    Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD, G31M3(MS-7529), 1.0, To be filled by O.E.M.
    Antivirus: Sunbelt VIPRE, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Sounds like the CPU is overheating. Remove the heatsink from the CPU; maybe even remove and reseat the CPU. Scrape off the likely-dried cooling paste, and put on a fresh coating. Then reattach heat sink.

I've had to do this three times this year myself, on several systems of about the same age. After a few years of heavy use, the paste turns to powder and doesn't do its job.

Your complaints are typical of overheating CPU, which is often caused by lack of paste. MPEG encoding will eat up 100% of the CPU, which is really the only time overheating kicks in so bad that it trips CPU/mobo safety, and powers it off.

It's a super-thin glaze, too -- not a gooey glob.

3. samyyy

samyyy Thread Starter

When I brought in my computer I actually replaced the cpu. It was not even a full day when this started happening after i brought it home.

Thank you for getting back to me

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!