1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer shuts off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valkster2, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valkster2

valkster2 Thread Starter

I have a P3-733 on an ASUS CUV4X board running XP and the problem is this:

It started a while ago when, after i put the computer on sleep or standby, it wouldn't come back on. This happened probably over a few weeks. Now, it spontaneously turns off, either after working for a while or even when starting up. It doesn't completely turn off though - the power light flashes as if the computer had been put on standby, but, of course, i can't revive it.

Thanks for any suggestions on what the problem could be and how to fix it

2. lknn

lknn

If you installed new hardware (videocards are big offenders), a fan broke down within the system, or even installed new software like SETI @ HOME, UnitedDevices, etc... it may be overheating and shutting down to protect the hardware.

Some 3D games generate a lot of heat because the CPU is used intensly.

My recomendation, if it is software related, remove the software. That would be the easiest most cost effective solution.

A better fix would be to get better cooling in the system. Also, taking the cover off is generally a bad idea, because often times cases are engineered to make an air stream over the hotter components, and without the cover there is no stream.

Hope this helps

3. valkster2

valkster2 Thread Starter

I actually haven't installed any new hardware or even software (that I can think of). Also, sometimes it shuts down during startup within seconds of bein turned on - could it overheat that quickly?

4. lknn

lknn

If you turn it on, and leave it running, and then it shuts off, and then you turn it on again, it could be because you haven't given it enough time to cool.

I'm not sure that this is the problem, but I've seen your symptons and it turned out to be because of software.

I guess my questions are:

1) Do you have the cover on your computer system? If not make sure you do.

2) Do you have a tool that came on your motherboard CD to moniter the CPU temperature, if you do, watch it after you give it a chance to cool to see if it steadily increases.

3) Do you have all the fans within your system working? You should just be able to watch.

4) To make sure it's not the software an the systems normal state is okay, boot and go into BIOS, if there is a temperature diplay in your BIOS watch it, and see if it shuts down. Of course let it cool down before you do this. If it doesn't shut down, something running on your system is causing it to overheat.

5. valkster2

valkster2 Thread Starter

I got CPUCool to monitor the temperature - the computer hasn't shut off yet, but i do have question:

It shows the CPU temp staying around 35C and maxing out at around 45C when thinking pretty hard - which seems almost too cool - could the sensor or something else not be working properly? This is way below the 80-85 max for this processor. The same program shows my Athlon 2000+ running normally at 70-75C, which is not far from its max.

Also, why would overheating cause the computer to not come back from going on standby? That was the first symptom that I encountered.

6. lknn

lknn

I was thinking that they might be unreleated.

If it's not overheating, I'm stumped. I'm assuming you did virus scans.

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

For your P3 system, have you gone to Display properties > Screen saver > Power and set Monitor, HD, and System Standby to Never?

About your Athlon, 70-75C is pretty high for an idle temperature. Better look into better cooling for the CPU and Case.

8. teruzzi

teruzzi

Hi, I resolved this issue for my PC with the flash of the last B E T A BIOS, you will find it on ASUS homepage http://www.asus.com.tw

Ciao
    Maurizio

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice