Computer Shutsdown intermittently need Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scarrylarry

Hello Everyone,
I have an older computer that sit in the kitchen it has an amd athlon processor 256mb ram geforce 2 GFX card and runs Windows 98 SE. OK the computer had A 1.5GB C Drive and a slave drive that's not much bigger and is split into two partitions. The problem I am currently having is the computer is shutting down and rebooting itself from time to time and when it does shut down I won't come back up right away I have to let it sit for a few minutes. Also there have been a few times where the computer screen goes black the computer is still running but I can't do anything because the screen is not there. I have to shut it down wait then restart it. Now Recently I changed out the 1.5GB C drive and replaced it with a 40 Gig I cloned the C drive with norton ghost. so the hard drive is GOOD because I had the same problem before I exchanged them. I left the slave drive untouched. Would that cause a problem if the slave were bad and not the OS drive. Also I switch out the monitor with the one from my newer computer so I know the problem is NOT the monitor. When the screen goes black after a few seconds it sounds like something is shutting down but the computer is still running and all the fans are spinning also I see a green light appear on the slave hard drive not sure what that means the light is not there when the computer comes up but when it goes black it comes on. I also changed out the surge protector with a new one because I heard the can cause problems too And the problem still exists. I took it to a computer place about two weeks ago and they said it never shutdown on them and that it's not overheating it may be about 8 degrees warmer than you want it but it was fine. So I am really confused with this one. If anyone has any suggestions to try I love to hear them Thanks! Sorry for being so long winded.
,Scarrylarry

scarrylarry

Tried Running memtest86 but computer won't saty on long enough for it to finnish screen still goes black. Could My GRFX card be A problem?

With an older machine and the systems you describe the first thing I would investigate would be the PSU. It is a fairly easy thing to replace, have you got a spare to test?

scarrylarry

Found one in the garage from my parents first computer they bought in 95 ,kept it for parts ,but when I hooked it up it didn't work at all so no I guess I don't have a spare anymore. how much do they cost are they expensive?

scarrylarry

Thanks for the help thus far I will look into getting an new PSU and see if that solves my problem!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online