1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Shutsdown on its own?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digital ED, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digital ED

digital ED Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I just joined. Thank you in advance for any advice.

I have a Gateway Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz with 3 gb of ram and Windows Vista.
    I tend to leave my computer on for days sometimes downloading and uploading torrents, editing video and photos, and sharing media with my 360 and ps3.

Lately, I have noticed that every once in a while the fan noise (like a blow dryer) will be very high and seconds later it turns off by itself (hard, not via windows).

Any ideas on what I should be looking for? (please let me know how to test for these)

Possible theories:

- powersupply fan not working and its overheating? - how would I test for this?

Again, thanks in advance.

2. Aggy

Aggy

I use Motherboard Monitor and RivaTuner to give me CPU and video card temperatures. If this only happens when you work with memory intensive graphics (photos) could be video card is overheating.

Edit.... RivaTuner is a registry editor, don't use it unless you know what you're doing. Also I don't know if using something like that invalidates any Gateway warranties or what so be careful.

3. digital ED

thanks. Ill try the monitor to see if anything is heating up

4. digital ED

my mother board is not in the list for the monitor. thanks anyway

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would tend to think it is overheating. Open the case and give the system a good cleaning with a can of air [available at any computer or office store] Once the system is clean, power ON and check that ALL fans are working. If everything looks OK, then check your temps. I would use either the hardware monitor in the bios [if used] OR speedfan.

6. Aggy

Aggy

In my case I confirmed that overheating was the likely problem by leaving the case cover off and blowing a house fan directly into the case. When I did that, the crashes did not occur.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice