1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Shutting Down Randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by speedtouch, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speedtouch

speedtouch Thread Starter

So I've run into a problem over the past few days, with no clear cause for it.

I've been playing a few games (League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Skyrim, etc.) and my computer will just power off. It doesn't restart, it just shuts off instantly. I ran a few tests and I think I've determined it's the power supply. The other tests have seemed to rule out overheating, bad ram, hard drive, and bad drivers.

For example, when I run the S&M Power Supply Test (run from Hiren's boot cd), and at around 20% in a window pops up with a flowery design on it, and my computer will turn off immediately. So I can replicate the problem..however, I can't find what exactly is causing it, or how to fix it. Plus I can't find any information to how it's doing its test.

I don't have any spare power supply to swap out and test with. Is there any other software I can do to test the power supply? Any other tests I can do? Any potential solution?

Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Download hwmonitor and install. With hwmonitor open and running, see if your voltages are going up and down OR if any are low; ie 12V, 5V, and 3.3V.

Next run something that will stress the system like prime95 or a video benchmark; again check hwmonitor for voltages.

Note it would REALLY help if you posted your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, exact pw supply installed, exact ram, what video card is installed, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the make and model. If possible post links to your parts.

3. speedtouch

I've been running this same hardware for the past 2-3 years, and it just started acting up yesterday.

It looks like the +12V is low, but I don't know anything about it. My power supply is http://www.corsair.com/tx750w.html

screenshot from hwmonitor on idle: [​IMG]

Even with prime95 running, with my CPU at 100%, the 12V slowly creeps up to 3.7 to 4.42V and continues going...

It seems that the computer will just power down on idle also.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, your 12V could not really be that low; it would never pw ON. This is caused by an unsupported sensor SO I would use gigabyte's app. It is called easytune and you can download it on the gigabyte site for your board.

5. speedtouch

So I got easytune working and it looks like that voltage reading was wrong. In easytune the 12V is listed at 11.668V. Which I think is within acceptable range.

CPU = 1.056V
    DRAM = 1.616V
    +3.3V = 3.296V
    +12V = 11.668V

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

11.6 is pretty low. Run some type of stability app and see if the 12V rail drops further.

7. speedtouch

Yup the 12V looks like to be it. I did the test again that was known to crash it (the S&M Power Supply Test), and it lasted a few seconds longer than usual, but in that time the voltage dropped to 11.220 and lower until it shutdown.

So now that I know it's the power supply for sure, what can I do? Is the only way to fix this is get a new PSU?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Replace the pw supply.
    Years ago high end pw supplies came with "pots" you could adjust to raise or lower voltage. That has not been done in quite a number of years.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice