1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shutting down when I start Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by WingRider, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

I've been looking at a friends computer, trying to figure out what's going on. His computer runs okay otherwise - he had a heat issue that we just fixed by getting him a better case. (The video card was running around 72 degrees C, the CPU at about 53 degrees C. It runs about 45 degrees for the Video card and 35 for the CPU after replacing the case and taking it out of where he had it).

What happens, though, is that the computer runs fine until he tries to load Guild Wars 2. It gets through patching and character selection, but when it begins loading the game proper, it powers off. No preamble or warning, and, even though logs are turned on, no log from windows about a crash. I have no idea where to go from here, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Things that we have checked:

Ran a couple different memory checkers, no problems.
    Ran GPU-Z, Arena.net team said that the GPU results were running fine.
    Ran CPU-Z, Arena.net team didn't see any problems there, either.

Including DXDiag here, can try to include other info if it'll help.

Computer specs:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    AMD Premium 9950 Quad Core Processor 2.6 Ghz
    8 GB Ram
    GeForce GTS 250 (4 GB)

Attached Files:

2. tom6049

tom6049

Do you know what type of power supply is being used?
    (Should be at least 450w for that video card.)

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

A 450 Watt would work, until you take that processor and 8 GB of RAM into consideration. You need a decent 550 minimum.

I had the exact same problem with a AMD 4850 and a 435w power supply. I ended up upgrading to 750w and all problems went away. (I now use a GTX 660 Ti.)

4. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

I know it's a 550W power supply. We're doing some testing with that, next, I think. Have to put my power supply or something into his computer, but it should tell us something.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Agree with others, check the PSU. You need a quality 550w PSU ideally as said, so something like a Corsair (not builder series), OCA, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic to name a few good makes. Don't get a cheap unit, they really arent worth the risk especially for a gaming machine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice