computer shutting down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gnit

Hi everyone,

My computer shuts down everynow and then, don't matter what I am doing, playing games, internet, e-mailing, etc... message from boot up says"
SEC MASTER DRIVE-ATAPI INCOMPATIBLE.

HOW CAN I FIX THIS PROBLEM?

THANKS,
GNIT

Might be that you have a hard disc where the bios expects a cd or dvd drive. Or you might have a bad cd or dvd drive as the secondary master. Check your bios settings. Try unplugging the secondary master drive. Could you post some specs for your computer?

gnit

kronus,
thanks for replying I appreciate it, anyway I have a windows xp professional, version 2002, service pack 1, AMD athlon(tm)processor, 1.15 GHZ, with 512 MB of ram.

gnit

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
What drives do you have in your computer? Specifically what is the master drive on the secondary IDE?

Sounds like you have a heat problem, check your fan in the P/S, they have a nasty habit of stopping and restarting due to dirt/lack lubricant on fan shaft as they get older.

"Sounds like you have a heat problem, check your fan in the P/S, they have a nasty habit of stopping and restarting due to dirt/lack lubricant on fan shaft as they get older."

Agreed. Many newer machines have an automatic power-down feature if it reaches a certain temperature. Possibly the ball bearings in the P/S fan went out. Also, check the heatsink and CPU fan and make sure that they are secure and functioning.

~Patrick

is it shuting down or restarting,

if it has random restarts, then it is a windows problem.

if your hard drive has a feature called "SMART", disable it.

you cant have 2 master drives,
it will make the boot up extremely slow.

if it is a heat problem, remove the side panel from your pc case, this will keep it a lot cooler. you can do this until you gae enough case fans

gnit

thanks for all your replies guys, right now I am doing what kronus suggested--to unplug my secondary master drive, so I did that and I disabled it as well in the BIOS screen. If that fix the problem, how do I replug the secondary master drive without having the same problem again? for now I let my comp run for 4 hours and see if it shuts down. it usually shuts down within 15 min. to 2 hours from the time I log on to it.
thanks you all, I'll keep you updated on the outcome.

gnit

If you plud the drive back in, and your error occurs again, then you might have the cause.

Try testing the computer by running a game or something fairly intense. Try to make the computer crash.

gnit

hi everyone,

I'm back and still experiecing the same problem, only now it seems that my computer only shuts down when I am playing games, (any games). I've check my fan and it does'nt look like it is failing cause the fan does not even stop working before the system shuts down.

I will appreciate anymore solultions to end this problem.

thanks,
gnit

A few questions and requests, please answer all of them.

First, is the problem exactly the same or are there any differences?

Second, could you please install everest from http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Third, run Everest, and check your temperatures under 'sensor.'

Fourth, if you have a desk fan available, try removing the side panel of your computer and blow some air in there, see if that helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online