1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer shutting down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sethisto, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sethisto

Sethisto Thread Starter

Earlier i was playing guild wars and my computer shut off randomly. After trying to reboot it, it would get to the motherboard screen, and then shut down a few seconds later.

so i brought it to the kitchen and hooked it up so i could check if the fans and stuff were working. everything looked good, and surprisingly, the computer didnt shut down.

so i brought it back to my room, and it shut down again in there. i repeated this process a few times. it didnt shut down in the kitchen. so i plugged it in with the monitor and everything in the kitchen and downloaded everest ultimate edition to double check temperatures. everything looked good. i left it on for a good 30 minutes as i ran around the house resetting power breakers thinking the outlet in my room was screwed.

after a few i tried setting it up in my room again and no luck. so i tried different outlets on all the walls in my room with no luck again. so i brought it back to the kitchen thinking something was wrong with the power in my room (even though everything else in there was fine) and it shut down in the kitchen for the first time.

I'm thinking its the power supply or something, but im hoping all those start ups and shut downs didnt screw something up so it wont work in the kitchen either now. i dont know what to do. i need to leave for work so i will check this when i get home.

2. Sethisto

Sethisto Thread Starter

still happens, and i think my os got fubard from all the shut downs, its asking to repair now, but shut down during that too ;/

3. Sethisto

Sethisto Thread Starter

works fine in the kitchen after a repair on the operating system/system restore to an earlier date. Still wont stay on in my room. I'm so confused at this point.

4. Cyberman1

Cyberman1

possible malware,spyware,virus ,try running Malwarebyte's Anti Malware (free) for malware spyware or Spybot SD, and if you need an Antivirus Solution, if you can run from desktop then use AVG free.
    If you cant run from desktop then you need to use a bootable AV disk, look up home user Avira Bart
    or follow this link and download the iso:
    http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

hope this helps.

5. Cyberman1

Cyberman1

6. Sethisto

Sethisto Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the response.

Just 2 minutes ago I think i may have figured it out. When im in the kitchen with it, i lay the computer on it's side because the cat likes to walk by and knock it over. every other time its straight up like normal.

Well that was the issue. If its on it's side the CPU is getting better coverage from the heatsink, but is still high. (55-59c) When its vertical, i finally made it into the bios and checked temps quick enough to see it shooting up very rapidly and shutting down once it hits 61c

I need some thermal paste i guess. The Q6600 processor im using came with stock already applied paste ad i guess after a year and a half the poor stock paste couldn't keep up anymore.

That or the stock heatsink itself is bad. I hope this is not the case.

does all of this sound plausible?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice