1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shutting off, freezing with certain games.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Vegasera, Jun 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vegasera

Vegasera Thread Starter

So, over the past few months I've been having an issue with crashing/freezing. I can't be certain that I'm not experiencing two separate issues, so I'll just include what causes and doesn't cause crashes/freezes.

• Ran OCCT Stress tests. Power Supply test and CPU tests shuts off the computer after about 30-60 seconds. It almost seems like an overheat shut down but the temperature reports roughly 50 C at the moment it crashes. GPU Stress test ran for 60 minutes without a crash.
    • Several games cause crashes like the above anywhere between 20 minutes to several hours of play time. Games I know that follow this behavior: The Witcher 3, Space Engineers, Factorio, XCOM 2, Kerbal Space Program
    • Disgaea PC Version causes a freeze after about 5-10 minutes. Unsure if it's the same issue as above since it's a solid freeze and not similar to an overheat shutdown. Can't replicate this with any other games.
    • I used to be a streamer, but Xsplit causes these crashes quite often. (Streaming is high CPU load)

Things I've done to try to figure out where a hardware issue might lie:
    • Removed and replaced power supply with a known working version. Crashes persisted.
    • Removed each stick of ram and tested. Crashes persisted.
    • Replaced GPU with a (extremely old) known working card. Crashes persisted.
    • Disconnected and reconnected all of the wiring, to check for loose connections. Crashes persisted.
    • I unfortunately have no way of testing the CPU or Mobo separately in this same style.
    The event viewer has been entirely useless. Events dont seem to be saved for up to a half hour prior to a crash.
    I've also updated every driver in the device manager trying to see if any of those were out of date. None were.

Here's the SysInfo:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-9370 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16348 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (103 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (626 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 990FXA-UD3
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a very power-hungry gaming system.
    What's the brand name and complete model number and wattage of the power supply unit(PSU) in it?

I've requested your thread be moved from the "Windows 10" section to the "Games" section.
    You should be able to get better help from the experts there.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Vegasera

Vegasera Thread Starter

PSU is an EVGA SuperNOVA 850W. This power supply is only about a year old.
    I originally put my question here because this seems more like a hardware issue to me, and I didn't see a hardware section anywhere (at first, but apparently I'm blind at nearly 1:00 AM, lol).

4. Vegasera

Vegasera Thread Starter

One of the most common solutions to this problem that I've seen is to replace the PSU. (Under the assumption that both of my PSUs are faulty...) Are there any tests I can do to determine if it's the PSU that's the problem? Or perhaps some test to determine if some other hardware component is the issue?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice