1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Shutting off randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JPS0042, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPS0042

JPS0042 Thread Starter

Howdy!

It's possible that this is either a hardware or software issue, but to avoid double threads I'm posting this here and will move it if it turns out that it's the latter problem.

I've got a beautiful custom-built PC that serves my needs perfectly. However, recently it has been shutting off randomly. It won't turn on immediately afterwards, but if I take two seconds to unplug and plug it back in it turns on fine - no "wheezing" or hard fan work. The fans inside don't sound as if they are working any harder than normal, so I don't believe it's an overheating issue. However, to completely rule this out I'm getting core temp to ensure that it isn't running above the heat safeguards.

I suppose what I'm getting at is to ask if it's likely that this is a problem with the power supply (based on the simple needing to re plug it back into the socket), the fans inside the computer (it is starting to get hot out, so it's possible that I need more fans and/or need to stop using it when I'm used to using it), or if this could be a malware problem (It appears to stop the most when I'm about 5-15 minutes in to a match of Overwatch, so it's again possible this is an overheating issue.)

Specs can be provided if needed. I'm looking forward to being able to solve this problem!
    Cheers,

JPS

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It certainly does sound like it's a over-heating issue. Whether it's the CPU, powersupply or something else will remain to be seen.
    I think it's a good idea if you monitor CPU temps and fanspeeds for a while. Also, since you have to remove power from the powersupply, it could be powersupply issue. Please give system specs and CPU/Fan data

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include the EXACT Make and model System if Big Box or Laptop, Notebook or tablet Include Service Tag if available. or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice