1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer shutting off randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wack80, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wack80

wack80 Thread Starter

okay, so this just started up recently, where my laptop seems to get tired of being 'on' and shuts off by itself.

I updated all of my virus protection and even tried to scan my harddrive in safe mode, but what ends up happening is that my computer, half-way through the scan, gets 'tired' and shuts off so i'm not sure if there is a virus or not b/c there's never enough time for it to scan my harddrive completely.

basically, this happened after i updated my itunes and deleted massive amounts of programs, and did a disk cleanup as well as a defrag. i'm pretty sure that my computer shouldn't get upset about this but it does!

so does anyone have any suggestions, b/c i really need to keep my computer on for a v. long time when i write essays or have downloads, and i really can't have it shutting down for no good reasons (other than perhaps my fan isn't working properly; therefore, my processor is overheated).

help please!

2. winbob

winbob

It does sound like either a Heat issue or a Power issue. Most other problems would result in a BSOD that would give some cryptic msg. I take it that you have auto-restart turned off, since you use the term "shuts off", rather than "restarts".

Try running the system with the case open, and if possible a fan blowing cool air into it. Also, do check to see that your fans are ALL working correctly:
    1. Processor Chip Fan
    2. Case Fan
    3. PS Fan
    4. Video GPU if any.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice