1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer shutting OFF

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kittygirl121, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittygirl121

kittygirl121 Thread Starter

:confused: I have a Sony Vaio RX681; which has Win XP home user, 120GB hard drive, 1 GB Ram and a DVD Burner. The computer either won't load windows and shuts off immediately after trying to load, or I can be on for 5min. - 2hours and it just shuts off and then won't reload windows; just shuts off again. :mad:

This happened after: I moved across country (computer was packed well), I loaded AOL 9.0 (and uninstalled it as it kept freezing and I would have to reboot), I loaded Palm Vx upgrade and I loaded new drivers for my UMAX scanner. We also had thunderstorms after I moved here; but I had it plugged into a good surge protector. :(

I did a system restore (per Sony) to an earlier point, and then a complete system restore; but I am still having the problem. I don't get any error message; just a complete shut off (power off and everything..) SO, I don't know which of these items screwed me up; but thinking it's either one of the following:

hard drive failure?
    power supply failure?
    motherboard failure?

Of course, I called Sony (they work in India :D ) and then was escalated here in FL and they wanted me to send it from FL to CA as there is no authorized service center here; and then they thought a new hard drive would be $400 or motherboard $900.. and at that point I might as well invest in a new one. This is 14 months old.

WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HELP! The techs here are $80 an hour and told me that it would take at least 2 to diagnose. I have installed new hard drives before; and can do that if that is needed. But, if it's a power supply or motherboard; would have to hire one of you!!

Thanks for the help! :)

2. dai

dai

check the usual things first
    loose cable connections
    reseat the cards
    overheating and voltages
    if you have or can borrow a p/s to swap over easier than fitting a h/d so you have nothing to worry about
    run the h/d diognostic program from the manufacturer

3. NeZZeN

NeZZeN

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a faulty power supply (brand new).
    If you can try another one they are really not that hard to swap out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice