1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer slow and jerky

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by starchild, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

(I tried to post this a few minutes ago and it wouldn't post. I had to use ctrl- alt-del to close it (TSG) and come back on again. This is the 3rd try. I hope they all don't post at once)

NOt sure if this is the right topic, but it doesn't seem to fit in any of the others (totally)

My computer was so slow and "jerky" last night I used a virus scan (online) on PC Pitstop. I've used this before, even though I have AVG on my computer. I did the full one and it showed no virus.

I then tried to run the online tests, and each time it started it crashed into the blue error screen.

I was going to ask on their forum, but couldn't remember what my username and password for it was, and it seemed like a long complicated process to find it out. (I wonder how many people give up on boards because of this?)

Today I took out some things I had in ADD/REMOVE programs, I thought I didn't need. One was SAVENOW.

I noticed a few other things in there, and wondering what, if anything I can take out safely?

I had to download java, (months ago) because it wasn't showing up (I.E. 6 apparently doesn't come with it), I got something called JavaSun. It's listed twice in Add/Remove programs.

Jave2 Runtime Environment standard edition v1.3.1
    and the same only SE v1.4.1_01

I could probably take out the one that seems the oldest (1.3.1)?

Also, I have Yahoo Companion Toolbar, and Yahoo Explorer bar (I have Yahoo instant messinger and internet mail. I didn't realize Yahoo mail put something in for a program?)

I want the IM and the mail, but what happens if I take the other things out?

I also used Spybot and took out a few things, mainly SaveNow.

Today, when I type it comes out in a very "jerky" manner, like there's a slight pause before the letters show up on the screen.

Makes it hard to use it, for opening websites/boards (or Word) and typing anything in them.

When I hit ENTER it seems to "roll" the page up in a jerky motion.

Any ideas about this?

I have a HP BRIO with I.E. 6 and WIN 98 SE. There's an 8 MB

harddrive which is only about 1/4 filled. 64 MB RAM. Not sure of the rest.

I've had it for 1 1/2 years and this is the first time it's been doing this.

Oh, a few days ago I defragged it (in SAFE MODE) and it would get to 90-something percent and jump back to the beginning again. It did this several times. It would defrag very fast (after the first time it got to 90-something %) but wouldn't go to 100 %

I finally just stopped it.

I didn't use disc scan because someone once told me if it needed this (before defragging) it woud say so. And it has at times. It didn't this time.

Thanks,
    Carrie

2. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

Hi starchild

- have you deleted your temp files? (windows as well as temporary internet files)

- before starting defrag
    ... do run scan disk
    ... crtl/alt/del End Task everything but Explorer and Systray & then run defrag

- have you kept your operating system files up to date (go to site
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com ). It is imporatant.

- you can safely uninstall the yahoo toolbars (sneaky things) - all you need here are indications of Y messenger and Y mail

It might be a good idea to run StartUpList and post the results here (free at http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

You can also run Belarc Advisor to see what apps are registered (shows you the guts of your machine) It is also free and you can get it at http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Not sure what online tests you were trying out, but you could also check out Symantec's at http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=20&pkj=VIFNRHYTINMHDKDCWLL

I am not sure about Java (don't you have to uninstall the loaded version before installing newer? not sure, but I would try that) ... someone more knowledgeablewill jump in here I am sure

let us know how things are going

cheers
    MDM ;)

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, I ran scan disc

Then ran defragg (in SAFE MODE- I never thought of closing all the programs but those two, instead).

It seems to be working okay now. I sat and watched it defrag (at least at the end ) and it made it to 100% and said it was complete. And there were no problems with disc scan.

I don't know about uninstalling one Java before putting in another. There are 2 in ADD/REMOVE programs. The one with the higher numer would be the newest one?

Thanks,
    Carrie

4. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

Hi Starchild
    great to hear defrag worked

I went to
    Java Sun Technolgies and they have 1.4.1 as the latest ... I would go ahead and delete the other version

... how is the system behaving (original problem ... jerky, etc.)?
    I would still make sure that you visit the MS update section (link above). It is really important that you have all of the latest fixes.

It would also be good (and interesting!) to discover what is in your start up (that list will knock you out - and there are several sites to explain what each means ... or we can help you out in here if you post the entire results)

cheers
    MDM

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice