1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer slow down.... HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cprompt0806, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cprompt0806

cprompt0806 Thread Starter

My PC has been acting really slow. The problem starts when my profile is loading. It takes a long time to load. Then after that, when everything "looks" ok, the response time to the INPUT that I make (keyboard and mouse) is really really bad. It take about a minute after I click START for it to pop-up. And when I'm going to shut it down, there's this Alert from WINDOWS that a program named HIDDEN FAX WINDOW is notg responding, and I need to have to click, END NOW before my system starts to log off. Any idea on this? I'm using Windows XP. I only have 256 MB memory. Ideas anybody please?

2. physician

physician

Hello

first of all, if you add ram your computer should run faster. I believe 256 megs of ram is bare minimum. Next, what spyware do you run. If you follow the forums, you know most here recommend ADaware SE and Spybot 1.3 for starters. Here are links:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=48
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=43

Another good tool is spywareblaster - its a protective tool. These tools all help your computer to run faster and are all free. Here is link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=49

If you have downloaded SP2, make sure you go into your internet settings and set your browser cookies to be deleted after each session - that aways your computer does not save cookies and then does not save most common spyware.

Download adaware SE first, install, make sure to do update (lower right corner), then run in full system scan mode. Let it fix all it finds - use right click if you don't want to read every file. Then reboot, install Spybot, do update, immunize, run spybot and let it fix all it finds. Attention - these tools do not run they are closed. You run them weekly to take out the trash in a sense. Spywareblaster does work all the time. You do need to check for updates occasionally. Install it, update it, tell it to enable all protection and then close it. HTH...doc

3. cprompt0806

I already have those 3 tools and all are updated.

4. KHolloman

KHolloman

ctrl + alt + del and see how much of your CPU is being used.

5. cprompt0806

100%! and not everything are loaded yet.

6. cprompt0806

is there any solution to this problem. its getting into my nerves because i can't even surf the net because the response time is so slow. my 566Mhz EMachines is even faster now than the 2.4 Ghz DELL (the one that is acting up)

7. Sanstorm999

Sanstorm999

Hi
    Its not the amount of memory you have thats causing the problem. its hard drive or software, i think its software what antivirus program do you use?
    when you say 100% cpu is used is this after everything is loaded and windows is sitting idle? IF NOT, wait until windows has fully booted and is idle. then do ctrl+alt+del = taskmanager. CPU usage should range from 0% to 5% because of task manager only is running. if its more than this post again please

8. cprompt0806

I made a system restore. I restored to a restore point made a week ago. And it started okay. I'm not just sure if it'll be fine from now on.

I'm using Norton (yes... Norton '04) and AVG (free edition). 100% cpu is used when everything is not loaded yet, and thats after about 10 minutes since it started loading the softwares. Yesterday, I tried to wait, I let it load all softwares, I came back to my PC after 2 hours, but everything is not loaded yet! Right now, I'm using the PC that I'm having problems with, CPU usage is between 4%-25%, and while I'm typing, there are times when the letters won't show up for about a few seconds, so its like the system freezes for a couple of seconds every so often. But it was worst earlier.

9. Sanstorm999

Sanstorm999

Hi,
    Okay, thanks for the info, it seems something is running in the background, possibly monitoring you ie connection etc.
    have you tried to boot to safe mode? does the problem still exist in this mode?
    Have you run Adaware SE or Spybot?
    Run MSCONFIG, and look at your startup programs do any look unusual or can you post the results here

10. physician

physician

You should not run two AV programs. That is probably your problem. You need to uninstall one of them. If you paid for Norton, then uninstall the AVG...doc

11. cprompt0806

Sanstorm999 - I have run Adaware SE and Spybot. Nothing was found.
    physician - the reason why I have 2 AV is that there are viruses that AVG can detect that Norton can't, and the other way around.

12. cprompt0806

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!