1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer slow to boot, very slow to shut down. Noticing low 3.3 rail voltage. Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pugly, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

I started with problem here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1089279-solved-video-hang-up-new.html which I think was handled well.

In the process of installing the new hardware, a couple concerning things happened. I had a tough time getting the 24 pin PSU-mb connector in and I feared damaging the connector on the mb side. I also had trouble with routing the SATA power supply cords to the hard drives, and had to pinch the connectors pretty tight against the wires they were connected to to squeeze them through parts of the frame inside. They are not squeezed in their connected position however.

But everything seemed to work great for a while. Both my new video card and PSU seemed to help my system. But after a while I started noticing things were getting slow, clicks not registering, any web browser locking up frequently. The problem got a little worse over time and now things load incredibly slow, though when they load they can run smoothly for a bit of time and then abruptly freeze again. Startup often takes a minute and shutdown can take sometimes more then 10. I often have to press the power button on the case due to a locked up program and then wait a very long time.

I checked my sensors with 2 different programs and they both show me consistently getting 2.128 volts on the 3.3 rail. I went back to my old vid card to see if the problem was the new one all along, no luck. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting all the PSU connectors, still no luck.

Seems to point to a piece of hardware being damaged but I need help figuring out which. Any ideas?

Edit: This problem really seemed to start after a gaming session that was fine when I started but went crazy slow later and I had to quit. Maybe heat damaged something. I just don't know how to find out if and what it did.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you switch back to the old power supply as well? Only do so with the original graphics card and not the new one.

3. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Yes. I also started getting a bad cheksum error on boot up and I tried replacing the cmos battery AND resetting bios. Neither did anything.

4. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Well I just found bad sectors on my hard drive. Hopefully that's not related to another problem.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you use the manufacturer's diagnostics to confirm that? Each drive manufacturer has their own set of diagnostics to test the drive. That could be the cause of the problems you are having with it running poorly.

6. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

i dont know where to fine those tools or whether they're gonna be from eMachines or Western Digital. But regardless, the problem is still present.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Thanks, it's running now. This must be a lot more thorough than chkdsk. It takes a bit longer.

9. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Well I completed both tests with a "PASS" not the hd.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, that's good.

Are there any marks on the SATA cables from being bent or squeezed?

Do a memory test, let it complete several full passes: http://www.memtest.org/

11. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

I dont see any marks, and I just did memtest last night. 8 passes with no errors

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

This does look like bad news. What do you think? Is one error enough to say I have a bad cable for sure?

[​IMG]

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Cables are cheap and much easier to replace than a hard drive. Replace the cable and see if it works better.

15. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

My new PSU has one set of cables that are sealed within the PSU case itself, and an extra set that plug in. I'll try connecting the plug set in and see what happens. I'm doing an error scan with that hd tune first though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice