1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer slowdown

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by umterps, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. umterps

umterps Thread Starter

I accidentally deleted a critical file the other day and had to reinstall everything on my computer. For some reason though, it seems to be a lot slower now. Before, I could run 6 applications or more at once with no problem, but now, when I have 3 things going, the mouse stalls every few seconds.

Also, I've been getting buffer underrun errors when I try copying CDs. The trouble shooter suggested turning off power management... is this a good idea?

I'm running a 1.4 GHz T-bird w/win 98 and 256 mb DDR memory

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi umterps,
    It is ok to disable power management if you want to. Also try looking in start, run type msconfig click on start up tab and see want is now running after you reinstalled evevrything that may be what is slowing you down. If you could post what is running it will help.

3. umterps

umterps Thread Starter

these programs are running.

ATI Launchpad
    AIM
    ScanRegistry
    TaskMonitor
    SystemTray
    LoadPowerProfile
    AudioHQ
    AtiPTA
    HydraVisionDesktopManager
    HydraVisionViewport
    Adaptec DirectCD
    NPROTECT
    Norton CrashGuard Monitor
    Norton Auto-Protect
    Hotbar
    LoadPowerProfile (yeah its on there twice)
    SchedulingAgent
    NPROTECT (thats on there twice too)

Not only do I experience slowdowns, sometimes the computer just locks up when I open up a couple programs at once.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's normal for NProtect and loadpowerprofiles to be listed twice. But try disabling Crashguard and see if that makes any difference.

You can also just uncheck everything except systray and scanregistry and see if the sluggishness is eliminated; then selectively re-enable them to try and identify the problem.

5. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi umterps,
    Also you should uninstall Crashguard. It is a pain in the butt and it doesnt work correctly. The ones that I see that should stay besides the ones Rollin'Rog says are:
    AtiPTA, Norton Auto Protect, ScanRegistry, TaskMonitor, SystemTray, LoadPowerProfile(2).

6. beach51

beach51

7. umterps

umterps Thread Starter

I disabled all of the recommended software files on startup. But I still have to reset around 4 or 5 times a day because the computer locks up. Any other ideas to get my computer running up to speed?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you reinstalled, did you do a format or just an overinstall?

If you did a format, did you reinstall any required motherboard drivers (such as VIA 4in1 for VIA chipsets)?

Right click on My Computer and select Properties>Performance. Are you in "compatibility mode"?

Lockups can be due to video driver issues, particularly if they occur when scrolling. You can test this by going to the graphics tab on the "Performance" page and reducing or eliminating hardware acceleration.

Also, how high do you have your display color depth set? If it is greater than 16bit, try reducing it to that and see if it makes a difference.

Overheating is another cause of lockups and slow performance.

9. umterps

umterps Thread Starter

I have a VIA / AMD Chipset mainboard and a drivers and utilities CD for it. Windows forced me to format the drive when I reinstalled it. I couldnt find "compatibility mode" under the performance options, it said "your system is configured for optimal performance." And I am running 16-bit colors on a 32MB Radeon. I didn't change the settings of the video card this time, or the time before.

Overheating might be an issue now more than before, we've had the heat on instead of the a/c for the last couple weeks... but, I removed the side panel of the case to help ventilation.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice