1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer slows down I am already irritated

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CrimsonArcher, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CrimsonArcher

CrimsonArcher Thread Starter

I reformatted my computer thinking it would solve the problem,it was ok for a while but while i was doing my homework my computer hang so i need to soft restart my computer,then a message appeared before the admininstration log in, it says "One of the files containing system's registry data had to be recovered by using of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful." the symptoms came back on my computer it takes a while to load all the application on the computer, i thought my previous symptom was because my computer has many corrupt files so it slows down but this time my computer was freshly reformated .It was the same message that appeared that i ignored because i thought it was ok because windows says that it was successful.now i do not know what to do.
    It is really beginning to annoy on me. I have tried all of the things below:

Booting to last known good configuration
    Virus Scan
    Spybot
    Registry Mechanic
    System Restore
    reformatting
    disk defragment
    disc cleanup

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    How old is your hard drive?

3. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

4. icemanx

icemanx

Could also be a Ram problem
    or the Hard drive is dying...

unless I see it I couldnt tell you 100% of what to do

I have seen this a lot at work and I have been able to fix it

some of the times all I have done is like replace ram, replace a HDD and thats fixed it

so your problem sorry cant suggest anything more than what I have said sorry

5. CrimsonArcher

My hard drive is about 2 years old,ccleaner wont help tried that it did not work.

"Could also be a Ram problem
    or the Hard drive is dying...

unless I see it I couldn't tell you 100% of what to do

I have seen this a lot at work and I have been able to fix it

some of the times all I have done is like replace ram, replace a HDD and thats fixed it

so your problem sorry cant suggest anything more than what I have said sorry"

I feel it isn't a ram or hardware failure because when i reformatted it,it works fine also the problem started when i soft restart my computer then the problem starts to pops up.

I found this:

My fix for this:

"**Note: You must enable hidden files and folders under tools folder options**

1. Create a new user account with administrative rights on the affected machine. Navigate to the affected user's profile directory and copy ntuser.dat to a folder named backup on your C: drive.

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ntuser.dat to c:\backup)

2. Once you have backed up the ntuser.dat file, overwrite it with the one located in c:\windows\repair\

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\windows\repair\ntuser.dat to c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ )

3. Log off the temporary account you have created and login to the affected user account and let windows fully load up. This will create a new ntuser.dat file under the user's profile.

4. Once windows has fully loaded up, log back out of the affected user's account and log back into the temporary account you made earlier.

5. Copy the ntuser.dat file you backed up earlier to the user's profile directory overwriting the new file that was created.

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\backup\ntuser.dat to c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ )

6. Log out of the temporary account and log back into the computer under the affected account and see if the problem is fixed."

I was able to locate (example for a user named dave: copy c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ntuser.dat to c:\backup) the ntuser.dat was a text and another ntuser(w/o the .dat) that looks like a video image and in the c:\windows\repair i did not find any ntuser.dat but found a ntuser(w/o .dat) so i did not proceed on doing this because i could not find it.

Is there any possible way to know/check if you have a dying hard drive or a ram problem w/o buying an hard drive or ram to check on it.

6. CrimsonArcher

Any computer whiz outthere know how to fix my problem

7. DutchyRose

DutchyRose

CrimsonArcher: I can fully relate to your problem! Thank you for your solution but it sounds complicated, I'm old, and am waiting for a Quick Easy Fix from someone else...anyone. I'll check back in a couple of days to see if anyone has a QEF! In the meantime...thanks! :confused:

8. Gnomad

Gnomad

Most hard drive manufacturers have a utility that you can download and test your hard drive, there is also Memory testing programs to test your memory.

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What is the make and model of the hard drive?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!