1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer slows if left running

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rudy2206, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rudy2206

Rudy2206 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8071 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (815 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 30C7
    Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I had been leaving my computer on in case one of my contacts wanted to reach me by Skype. After a few hours of being idle, everything slowed to a crawl. The last couple of days I shut it down completely when finished. I hit the power button and it boots very quickly and even logging on to the internet is much faster. Any programs or ideas about the sluggishness after long idle?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Small Form Factor computer.
    How long have you had the slowness issue with it?

You might consider getting rid of COMODO Antivirus and sticking with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app.
    Having a third-party antivirus app can cause various issues in Windows 10.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Rudy2206

Rudy2206 Thread Starter

The issue has been around about a year. And I think it may coincide with my installation of Comodo. I will try uninstalling Comodo as you suggest and get back with you on the results. Thanks flavallee.

4. Rudy2206

Rudy2206 Thread Starter

Well uninstalling Comodo did the trick! Pages and programs load quicker too. I am going to use McAfee Total since I paid some pretty good money for it. But when the prescription runs out I won't renew. Its' protection against malicious web sites must have been blocked by Comodo as well because I am getting a lot more warnings than I used to. You have given solutions or suggestions to a few of my threads and they always work. Thanks flavallee!

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear that removing COMODO resolved the slowness issue. (y)

You should stick with Windows 10's build-in Windows Security instead of installing McAfee Total, otherwise your computer may be in the same situation again. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Rudy2206

Rudy2206 Thread Starter

For some reason, there is no slowdown with McAfee installed. Like I said though I am getting more malicious site warnings. Almost every time I try to unsubscribe from the site in my email McAfee steps in and blocks access. I am going to go with it until my subscription runs out. If I start having slow downs though, I will remove it. One more real improvement after getting rid of Comodo is my password keeper program works much better.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear that McAfee is working better for you than COMODO did.
    However, I still stand by my advice to stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app.

Your Lenovo has a decent processor for non-gaming use.
    As long as it doesn't have a lot of running processes, it shouldn't run like a turtle.

Capture.JPG

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Rudy2206

Rudy2206 Thread Starter

Got a question about all this sluggish computer stuff. I noticed today that starting up computer from Shutdown my boot time is around 30 seconds. If I do a restart the boot time goes up to 90 seconds or more. Just curious if anyone has an idea on why this is so.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  10. Jack1000

Jack1000

I agree it is possible that you may be replying to a fraudulent email getting these virus warnings? I would uninstall everything McAfee and than turn on Windows Defender do a full scan with Windows Defender. After getting McAfee off of your account, go to McAfee's Official Site and log into your account rather than doing it through email to get credits. That site is here:

https://www.mcafee.com/en-us/index.html

Do your communications with McAfee through the site only. I question if the unsubscribe email you are getting is from McAfee.

Two more things:

1) Get Malware Bytes installed on your compute and run a scan. BUT NOT UNTIL MCAFEE IS UNINSTALLED FROM YOUR SYSTEM Turn off Malwarebytes' Real Time Protection's three features switches on the top right side of the interface, so that the scan does not interfere with Windows Defender's protection. ONLY ONE REAL-TIME ANTIVIRUS OR MALWARE PROTECTOR SHOULD; BE INSTALLED ON YOUR PC AT ANY TIME. Malware Bytes can be used with it's real-time protection off as a second line of defense against malware. Just run it On Demand. Reboot after running Malware Bytes and quarantines or deletes, what it finds.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Finally, get Adware Cleaner made by the guys at MalwareBytes. This isn't an AV, but it will remove unwanted toolbars are junk from your PC left by other programs:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

I would also recommend an Ad Blocker for each of your browsers if you don 't have one. I like AdBlock Plus.

Jack

11. Rudy2206

Rudy2206 Thread Starter

That was an interesting and informative read. I had no idea it could be as complex as that. I saved the information for future reference.
    Thank you, managed.

12. Rudy2206

Rudy2206 Thread Starter

Thanks, Jack. I have all the programs you mention already downloaded in anticipation of removing McAfee except the AdwearCleaner. Will download it now. Went to Mcafee and had already canceled the auto-renewal. I removed any traces I could find that referenced me to the site. I am going to do as you suggest today.

Jack1000 likes this.
  13. Jack1000

Jack1000

All great ideas Rudy! Having McAfee off your system and Windows Defender on with Ad-Block Plus will really help.

Jack

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice