1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer slows way down and say 100% CPU usage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TampaLady, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TampaLady

TampaLady Thread Starter

This is a fairly recent problem. I have a Dell computer about 4 months old.

Here's a description of the problem. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. I was going to call Dell but I've found I get better help here than Dell!

My CPU will start to get louder than normal (it sounds like it is working overtime in there). At the same time, IE freezes up and pages won't load anymore. I can still use email and MSN IM normally, as well as other programs. When I check the "windows task manager," it says the CPU usage is 100%, when normally it's around 2-5%. It will do this for up to an hour. Even if I reboot, after it has started up, it continues do this same thing.

After it finishes whatever it is doing, CPU usage goes back down and IE works normally again.

I'm afraid it might be some spybot program or something that is taking over. I can't figure out what is wrong. But I know this is a good place to come for
    help!

Christi

2. vwnmbus

vwnmbus

When you open up the task manager which process is is using all the cpu percentage?

3. TampaLady

TampaLady Thread Starter

Next time it does it, I will make note of the processes using the most percentage.

4. TampaLady

TampaLady Thread Starter

Ok, here's a list of the processes using the most.

CCPROXY.EXE 77,448K
    ieplore.exe 26,808K
    explore.exe 18,664K
    svchost.exe 15,304K
    CCAPP.EXE 10,556K

In the "windows task manager" box under the "processes" tab, it lists the processes. Under the CPU column, ieplore.exe has 99% usage. Is that the problem? Like I earlier mentioned, the CPU is louder and and the computer usage goes up to 100%, IE freezes while other programs work just fine.

I'd appreciate any assistance.
    Christi

5. vwnmbus

vwnmbus

What anti-spyware/adaware program are you running? My friends computer was doing the same thing and it turned out to be adaware that was running his iexplorer in the background. His also did this without even opening his iexplorer.

I'm assuming that you have XP and are up to date with all the updates.

6. TampaLady

TampaLady Thread Starter

I use AdAware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy. I've done a scan with both of those to see if that helped. It hasn't.

I do have XP and do stay up-to-date on the updates. The only things that it says I should update, which I haven't yet, is the IE 6 Service pack 1 and Windows XP Service pack 2.

I'll do those today to see if that helps.

7. vwnmbus

vwnmbus

Those updates will definately help. After you update it run the adaware and spybot scan again.

8. myluvnttl

myluvnttl

You must be running Norton. Try disable every start-up program and run spybot in safe mode.

9. TampaLady

TampaLady Thread Starter

I don't understand what Norton has to do with this problem. I will run Spybot like you said.

Also, I don't think at this point I'm going to download SP2. I just read through that really long thread at the top of this forum. I'm a little afraid to download it at this point.

But you are thinking this 100% CPU usage is a spyware program?

10. physician

physician

Do you keep your adaware and spybot up to date as well? What antivirus do you run?

Norton is an excellent antivirus program - do you keep it up to date as well? I have downloaded SP2 and many have without problems. SP2 has a great little firewall that is important if you don't run any firewall now and use anything faster than dialup to get on the internet (like DSL or Cable). The second feature of SP2 that is good is that it makes a change in how Internet Explorer (IE) handles cookies - it mimics Netscape Navigator. The people over at NN have made it so that their browser handles cookies for a session only and then when you exit the browser - the cookies are deleted. You can now do that with IE after installing SP2. Or you can use the Mozilla browser, Firefox browser, Avant browser, or Opera browser (or many others). I am here right now running one Mozilla and one Firefox...doc

11. physician

physician

A third thing to do is to download and install the Microsoft Antispyware Beta program. Install it, update it, run it. I have it on one laptop and five desktops. It is handy, runs well in conjunction with adaware and spybot, and has turned out to be a useful tool with those other two. You could also use CCleaner, a handy free cleaner that takes out most of the useless trash - I run that also on all my computers.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

hth...doc

12. moose69

moose69

Hi TampaLady

Download Hijack This at http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/ post a log file, dont delete anything, ask one of the experts here to assist you with what you should delete. I also found stinger useful in this situation, get it at http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Hope this helps some you see to have an infestation of some kind allright.

moose69

:D :D :D :D

13. bobol

bobol

here's how to post the Hijack This log here and set it up.... run it after using your adaware and spybot.

post the log in this thread, whereupon it'll be analysed by those-in-the-know here and then appropriate fixes will be suggested..

follow the next instructions on posting the Hijack This log here;

It’s very important that you save the log to its own permanent folder on your hard drive, such as Program Files/Hijack This, or My Documents/Hijack This, (NOT a temporary files folder) or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make, so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows/and any open web browers and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

14. myluvnttl

myluvnttl

Norton can bog down the system. If there is spyware on your computer, it will give you problem, when you try to install SP2.

15. bobol

bobol

i'm hovering at 0-3 % cpu usage while online with Norton's running myself and just 256 ram, so I'd go for the hijack this log to check for other possible issues.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!