1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Slows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by catt_1072, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catt_1072

catt_1072 Thread Starter

:confused: can anyone help me out with this one. After the computer being on for a while (can be anywhere from an hour to two hours) the computer slows down. I have read something about Leaking RAM but don't know if this would be the cause. The problem is solved once I shut down & restart the PC but it often takes forever for the shut down to occur. Any ideas of things to try would be greatly helpful. The computer is AMD 400, 64 MB RAM & the O/S is Win98. Thanks.

2. AnyKey

AnyKey

All the fans running? It could be caused by the power supply getting ready to go out. I've seen it happen a lot. They're easy to replace. How old is the computer?

3. Oxide

Oxide

Is that not something to do with overheating...Dont quote me on that one i am not possitive....

Tam

4. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Sometimes a simple clean up of the system helps. I would remove any things i dont want, delete all temp files, temproary internet files, run scandisk and defrag just to start. Download Adaware from the following site and make sure you are clean of any spyware.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Then when at this point, if it still happens, go to Start>Run and type in MSCONFIG and then open. When that program is running, on the Startup Tab look at the list of thing you have running at startup. You can uncheck things other than your anitvirus, firewall etc... reboot and run the computer to see if the problem returns or not. If not, you know that one of the programs is the problem. If not sure what to uncheck, copy the list and post back with it and either i or someone else can help you with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice