1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer sluggish/not booting, narrow it down?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iplaywithblocks, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iplaywithblocks

iplaywithblocks Thread Starter

I recently bought components and assembled a new computer. It had a slight hitch in that the mobo wasn't picking up any IDE optical drives, behaving as if there was nothing at all plugged in, but I figured I'd get a SATA drive and live with as, as my 2 SATA HDD's were working fine.

Anyways, after about 4 weeks working fine, the system was shut off by my wife from the power button on the front. Trying to start it up now, everything is extremely slow. The bios takes a long time simply to get into, the Gigabyte splash screen takes forever to load, and it's about 5 minutes before it even starts trying to load windows. After ten minutes I get the screen to try and do a system restore, but nothing in there helps either. I made a bootable USB recovery drive for my install (Win7 x64) and that does the same thing: about 10 minutes before I can even select to do an english language install. Now a second sata drive will have similar problems (running Vista 64) but it simply won't load windows at all, doesn't even try to recover.

I want to say it's the mobo, because there are issues with either drive I use, but I want to narrow it down before I try and hassle Gigabyte for a replacement (everything was bought from Newegg, but is juuust past the 30 day RMA period)

So...any suggestions? thanks!

Specs:
    MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L
    CPU: INTEL BX80571E5300 Pentium Dual-Core 2.60 GHz 800 MHz
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W
    RAM: 2x2gig G.Skill DDR3 1333

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice