1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Specs (for gaming)

Discussion in 'Games' started by hchildz, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hchildz

hchildz Thread Starter

Okay - I am needing some assistance from anyone that wants to help....:confused:

I am about to start building a computer (yep I have experience doing this) but I realized that I would probably use this computer for mostly gaming since I really don't do much else when I have free time and this would be solely for keeping my sanity - which trust me - that is a good thing :cool:

Now I play games like Law & Order, Fate, Diablo, Chainz, Mah Jong, Luxor, Zuma...etc. - what specs would you advise me - I don't need anything overly fancy - just it has been awhile since I have been out there and looking around at things.....so I am here throwing myself on your mercy!! - any help would be greatly appreciated! ;)

2. Jones

Jones

Do you have a set budget? That will help immensly when choosing parts.

3. hchildz

hchildz Thread Starter

Well....overall I don't want to spend more than 2,500.00 - but that also will include the monitor.....

4. Jones

Jones

WOW! That's one heck of a budget for the games you described.

Basically, I'd go to a site like NewEgg, and start from the ground up. Motherboard, PSU, processor, ram, vid card, etc.

Look at the reviews, and choose good brands. With that budget, you can build a beast of a gaming rig.

5. hchildz

hchildz Thread Starter

Thanks! but part of the problem is that I don't know what would be better for gaming - and what processor brand would be better than another, etc.

Those aren't the only games I play - just the ones I play most often - once I have beat Kingdom Hearts and Xenosaga I think I will have time to go back and play on the computer (my daughter got me addicted :) )

6. Jones

Jones

I see, well start with a good brand of Motherboard. ASUS, and DFI are two very popular brands. Here are a nice one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131025

I prefer Intel processors, so that board is an Intel 775 socket. To choose a processor, basically get the fastest one that will fit. Same thing with RAM. Corsair, OCZ, and Crucial are really good brands. Get at least 1gb.

As far as Power Supplies, I like Ultra PSU's, but other options with good reputations are Enermax, Antec, and PC Power and Cooling.

Video cards: I like nVidia, so something like a 7900 GTX would be really nice.
    See one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143062

That should get you started.

7. hchildz

hchildz Thread Starter

Thanks - now about the power supply - I am going to need at least a 600W right? I really don't want to look at anything less than that do I?

8. Jones

Jones

For any type of gaming machine, 500watt is generally considered to be a good size. I'd agree with you though, that if you have the ability, more wattage would allow for more flexibility for future upgrades. Just make sure that you get a REALLY good quality one. Crappy PSU's are nothing but trouble.

9. hchildz

hchildz Thread Starter

Oh I know - for what you pay for the crappy ones and then to replace them - it is better to just buy a decent one or better than decent so you don't have to worry about it down the road

10. Jones

Jones

11. hchildz

hchildz Thread Starter

You have been great! Remind me - because it has been at least three years since I have bought pieces - if I buy a case - does it come with a fan - or do I need to look at fans?

12. CDBongo

CDBongo

Those games you listed are NOT intense at all! With a $2500 budget, you could get a $700 gaming machine, and a really nice monitor and/or speakers (or take it to the bank)
    If you wan't i'll configure you a really nice gaming computer on newegg under $750,
    (I just don't want to do the research if you don't want me to.)

13. Seth13

Seth13

Yeah Bongo's right, for what games you listed, $2,500 would be a rediculous waste of money. You could go out a buy an HP with a moderate GPU in it for $500, and it would play everything there perfectly.

14. Jones

Jones

Most higher-end cases will usually come with at least one fan. It's usually a good idea to invest in a couple more though to keep good airflow.

15. Laydle_2

Laydle_2

I have a dell latitude laptop and windows xp.. -I hope someone can answer-
    and i just got it, so ofcourse i want to install my sims 2 game... when I go to put it in my CD drive, my laptop doesnt read my disk, which is frustrating.. so i go under the program "my computer" and manually make the computer read/run the disk but it says that the disk is corrupted or it's format is not readable for windows which is bologna because i know that the disk isnt corrupted because it plays on my other computer which is an xp too. Can anyone tell me how to do this?? :( :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice