1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joja, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joja

joja Thread Starter

Hi all,

I need some help. First, what is the conversion from bytes to kilobytes to gigabytes? For instance i want to know the specs to my computer (such as processor speed, memory, RAM, etc.). So I went to Propeties of C: and it listed the following:

Used space: 3,442,704,384 bytes 3.20 GB
    Free space: 8,258,650,112 bytes 7.69 GB
    Capacity: 11,701,354,496 bytes 10.8 GB

What does this mean? Does it mean that I have 10.8 GB of memory? Under System Properties it says 327,108 KB RAM. How much is that in MB?

Also in F2 Setup, it states:

System Memory: 640 KB
    Extended Memory: 319 MB
    Internal Hard Disk: 12073 MB

Any help would be greatly appreciated in determining the specs of my computer and the measurement conversion. Any additional help would be great too.

Thanks

2. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

Welcome to TSG! First of all, C: is not your ram. If you want to know how much memory you have available, click Start, Settings, Control Panel. From there, go to the Icon that says "System". If you are using Windows XP, you will have to click the link that either says "Show all Icons" or "Ungroup Icons". Now that you double-clicked on the System icon, go to the Performance tab. There it will tell you exactly how much RAM is installed on your computer. If you want to see how many gigabytes of space your Hard Drive has, Click Start, then Run, then type in C:
    In the left-hand side of your screen it should tell you how many gigabytes your hard drive can hold (capacity).
    Well, I hope this helps! Good luck
    -X_Gamer:D

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Additional input:
    • There are 8 bits in a byte
    • There are 1024 Bytes in a Kilobyte
    • There are 1,048,576 Bytes in a Meg (not an even one million)
    • There are 1,073,741,824 Bytes in a Gigabyte (not an even one billion as the hard disk manufacturers would have you believe--they lie)

The reason for this seemingly confising scenario is simple. These are binary numbers. They are arrived at by multiplying 2x2x2x2... until you come to these numbers. That's the way binary numbers are calculated. Every time you step up another multiple of two, you have arrived at another binary number.

That is the reason for the different numbers reported in bytes and Gigs on your hard disk.

The terms for memory and storage space are often confused by novices. The numbers you listed are for storage (hard disk) space. Memory (Random Access Memory) is the dynamic area where your computer more or less puts its temporary notes as it works. Memory is volatile, meaning when you turn off the computer, it is flushed completely. When you turn it back on, Windows reads information from the hard disk (permanent storage space) and puts it back into RAM (memory). What you see on your screen is in RAM. When you turn off your computer, the memory is flushed and the screen goes blank.

What you see in most machines is somewhere between one-eighth and one-half a Gigabyte of RAM. Most hard disks being sold in new computers today have between 60- and 120 Gigabytes of storage space. So, you typically have hundreds of times more disk (permanent storage) space than RAM space.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/147551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice