computer specs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fitzaroni

Hi. I'm trying to help my 80 yr old father who owns a very slow Windows 98 PC. I'm a Mac owner and trying to help him with Windows issues is tough. My question is this: How does my Dad find out the specs of his computer? Specifically, what size hard drive, how much RAM, what type processor? On Windows 98, how does he navigate to retrieve this info? Your help is very appreciated.:)

Basic specification(CPU, RAM, windows version) is possible to be found in control panel, then system icon. Another information about HW can be found under hardware tab(I'm not sure how is it called, I just click that tab:). Then there might be program called sysinfo which does that too. It is also possible to download some specialized program which makes report. For example Everest, which is freeware. And congratulations. I don't know much old people who can control computer(y) .

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
How does my Dad find out the specs of his computer? Specifically, what size hard drive, how much RAM, what type processor?

Double-click the MY COMPUTER icon on the desktop, right-click the hard drive ( C: ) icon, then click Properties. It should display a pie chart with the hard drive size, the amount of used space, and the amount of free space.

Right-click the MY COMPUTER icon on the desktop, then click Properties. The "General" tab should display the type of processor and the amount of RAM. The "Performance" tab should also display the amount of RAM.
(Note: If that computer has an on-board video adapter and not a dedicated video card, a certain amount of the RAM is dedicated to the on-board video display and may not be displayed in the total amount of RAM. For example, if a computer has 64 MB of RAM and 8 MB is dedicated to the on-board video adapter, it may be displayed as 56 MB.)

If that computer is a known factory-brand one and not a shop-made one, the brand name, model name, and model number should be on the case. If so, provide us with that information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online