1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Spontanously Reboots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowcat, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shadowcat

shadowcat Thread Starter

My computer reboots itself whenever I'm using it -- sometimes every 10 minutes! It also freezes occasionally rather than reboot. The reboots happened after I reinstalled Windows 98SE (because I was receiving several "Windows Protection Errors" in one day). I don't believe I reformated the hard drive but did completely erase the Windows file prior to reinstall.

My specs are as follows:

PIII 800 MHz (Chaintech Mainboard)
    256 MB RAM
    Western Digital WD800 Hard drive
    TDK Velocd 5200B
    Pioneer DVD-104s
    Nvidia GeForce3 Ti 500 64MB DRR
    Hercules Fortissimo III sound card
    3.5" floppy drive
    D-Link DFE530TX 10/100 PCI card
    US Robotics 56K/v90 modem
    Unknown power supply watts (how do I find out?)

My guesses as to what's wrong but have no solutions for (other than to get a new computer/motherboard):

1. The motherboard is on it's way out because it was damaged from brownouts prior to installing APC Back up a few months ago. This does not explain why the sudden urge to reboot after re-installation of Win98SE.

2. Outdated motherboard bios. I don't have the motherboard CD for this computer because it was given to me. I figured out what it was by opening up the computer and a lot of detective work on the web because there is no clear markings as to what make and model it was. (See below as to why I never tried to get bios from maker's website).

3. Power supply failure (is there such a thing?)

4. Possible hardware failure/short causing power problems with the board.

I've eliminated the following possible suspects:

1. Viruses. I've ran it through NAV with current updates several times. I even ran it through the free check on McAfee's website.

2. Spyware. I used Spybot Search & Destroy (with current updates) a few times, too.

3. Overheating. It has a fan installed that works. I've even opened the case and put a real fan blowing on the guts and the computer STILL reboots spontaneously, where the room it's in is comfortable (i.e., not hot, not humid, is a bit cool, actually).

I've tried to do the following:

- Update the bios for the mainboard, unsuccessfully. The board is old and the program does not execute like it's supposed to on the computer.

- Loaded Via 4-in-1 ver. 4.35 driver. Upon reflection, I'm not sure this was the right thing to do, because I also see a "card" in the motherboard that has a fan on it with "Intel" painted on the outside of it. Not sure what this is...

I've been wrestling with this problem for almost a week and am pulling out hair! HELP.

2. codejockey

codejockey

You might try removing and re-seating your memory stick(s) and testing them with a program such as memtest (www.memtest.com). In my experience, many Windoze problems are caused by unreliable memory -- which can be as simple as a poor contact on one pin of one stick. If you have more than one memory stick installed, you might also try running with each one individually (and testing each one individually) and see if your results change.

Hope this helps.

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

If the mem chks good using memtest as codejockey suggests then u might wanna tak a look at the psu voltages.

Per ur question on "Unknown Power Supply", only way i know of is to open it up an tak a peek and see what ya hav.

Is this the original PSU ?

4. shadowcat

shadowcat Thread Starter

Thanks codejockey and Rusty1952!

I tested the RAM found no problems.

I took a look at the power supply (which is original to the machine that's at least 5+ years old...): it's an A1 Electronics Inc. Switching Power Supply, 250 W (Model FQY-206TE-250W).

The computer also seemed to have stabilized after I removed a Belkin USB 2.0 4-port hub OFF the machine (which was plugged in to the AC).

If this is truly the problem, any suggestions as to what type of power supply I should upgrade to (i.e., they're all the same size and can fit into the case, and how many watts should I consider?)

5. dai

dai

6. shadowcat

shadowcat Thread Starter

THANKS DAI!

It calculated that I am possibly using 250W-281W on a 250W power supply. Wow.

7. dai

dai

go for a 350 or 400 to allow for futher installations

8. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

I see that u r runnin (2) Atapi Devices. Any particuliar reason for that ? Bef upgrading the PSU....I would try removing the Cdrom (TDK) and run the pc for awhile that way to see if the reboots continue, befor runin out and buyin a PSU. Although in all probability ur problem may lie in the Supply. It may not be due to being undrpowred though. Could be there are some voltages that r out of spec---probaly too low.

.....least this way u'll hav a better idea of what in particuliar with the Pwr Supply is causin the reboots.

9. shadowcat

shadowcat Thread Starter

The reboots have stopped since I removed the USB hub, which may have overdrawn the power supply. The computer been running non-stop for half a day without it, an amazing feat because it usually reboots within 10-30 minutes.

But, to be on the safe side, I think I need to upgrade the power supply, since I've run out of USB ports for my peripherals and I do want both my CD-RW and DVD-ROM running.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! I'm so relieved that I didn't hose the computer...

10. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Heads up there on the TDKvelocd. U din't specify it was a burner in ur spec post so i assumed it was just a plain cdrom drv. I'm not familiar with that model......

11. shadowcat

shadowcat Thread Starter

Rusty1952:

The CD-RW specifically is TDK VeloCD 52/24/48. I got it a few months ago upon reading reviews by CNET and PC World. It replaced a CD-ROM.

Now that I think about it, my computer would reboot itself occassionally over the past six to eight months (prior to the CD-RW installation). At the time, I thought it was caused by a game, Neverwinter Nights, which caused some havok on the computer upon installation (especially Shadows of Undrentide expansion).

NWN and Shadows are no longer on the computer upon reinstallation of Win98SE.

Do you think something else would cause the reboots?

12. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Yeah, like i said befor if one or more of ur pwr sup. output voltages are too low.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice