1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer start up problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by atilla, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atilla

atilla Thread Starter

I recently got broadband and started downloading a lot of stuff and have subsequently developed some problems with starting up. firstly when i turn the computer on it takes about 3 to 4+ hours to load. then it might automatically restart by itself during a session. there doesn't seem to be any viruses so i went to a computer shop and was told i either don't have enough memory or my root directory is full. is there anyway to fix this without bothering to take it in to be looked at.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Atilla:

If your computer is using Windows 98/98SE, it should have at least 128 MB of RAM. If it's using Windows ME, it should have at least 256 MB of RAM. Personally, it should have at least 256 MB of RAM with either operating system because of the memory requirements of some many newer programs. If you right-click My Computer, then click Properties, the General tab will list the amount of RAM in MB's.

Double-click My Computer, right-click the hard drive icon, then click Properties. The colored pie chart will tell you the total capacity of the hard drive, how much free space there is, and how much used space there is. At least 10% of the hard drive's capacity should be free space.

Post the RAM amount and hard drive stats here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Your computer likely has a buildup of spyware and other "nasties" that need getting rid of.

Go here and download Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05 and Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3. Once you've downloaded them, install them both. Once you've installed them, run their update function and get them up-to-date with the latest detection files.

Run a full system scan with Ad-Aware. Once the scan is finished, select and delete everything that it finds. Reboot. Run a scan with Spybot. Once the scan is finished, select and delete everything in red that it finds. Reboot again.

Download HijackThis 1.99.0 from the same location above. It does not install like Ad-Aware and Spybot. You have to unzip it into a folder that you create for it. Do not unzip it into a temp folder.

Double-click its HijackThis.exe file to start it. Click "Scan" and let it scan your computer. When the scan is finished, click "Save Log". Save the log in text format with Notepad. Copy-and-paste its entire contents here. Do not run a scan with HijackThis until after you've made use of Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Your computer likely has a buildup of temp files and other trash files that need to be gotten rid of.

Click Start - Find/Search - All Files And Folders, select the hard drive to look in, then delete everything that appears under

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.*

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

Once this is done, empty the Recycle Bin so your computer can regain the space from getting rid of this trash.

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab).

Everything listed there with a checkmark next to it is loading during startup and running in the background. The larger the startup load is, the more problems your computer will have and the longer it will take to start up and shut down.

Other than ScanRegistry, SystemTray, StateMgr(Windows ME only), antivirus program entries, and firewall program entries, very few other programs need to load during startup and run in the background.

If you make use of the "Search" option at this site, you can decide which programs to disable and thereby reduce the startup load.

Do not disable any programs yet until after you have done the above and posted a HijackThis log here and been given the go-ahead to do so. We do not want you to "hide" any problems that we need to view.

3. atilla

atilla Thread Starter

thanks for all the tips but alas it was too late for me to try any of those suggestions. it took longer and longer for the for the computer to even begin loading let alone for the windows screen to show and eventually i was waiting the whole day. it turned out that my motherboard was on it's last legs and finally gave out. i ended up having to upgrade to a new system.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Now that you have a new computer, keep it well maintained and you'll have a lot less problems with it. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice