Computer Start Up Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dino2489

I was moving furniture around my desk and accidentally hit the main power switch that my computer was hooked up to. When i tried to turn it back on, the computer turned on, but my monitor didn't. I left it running to see if the monitor might be defected, but after a while the keyboard lights still hadn't come on. I've tried hooking it up to other monitors and I get the same result. The CD drives still open and close and the speakers hooked up to the computer have power. Why wont anything show up on the monitor? Please Help...

Dino2489

Hi Dino

Don't know how hard you hit the case (or if it was just the switch) but make sure nothing is loose inside the case, especially the video card and RAM.

You could also try resetting CMOS, by moving the jumper on the motherboard. (Ask if you need help with this)

Hopefully it will be something simple and not a component failure.

dino2489

I only hit the switch that was powering everything... But its one of those Surge Protector outlet center. I've already checked inside with my dad, nothing seems to be loose. Yeah I'm pretty much a newbie at computer hardware, please explain resetting the CMOS... We were thinking it might be the memory thats fried??

Thanks for your help

If something did get fried it unfortunately could be memory or anything else. This link discusses how to reset CMOS, although the article deals with a lost password, so ignore references to that. You can do it by a jumper or removing the battery. Not all systems have the jumper.

Resetting CMOS

u'd best remove the battery and reset the cmos. if your luckey it will turn on. If the problem keeps on happening, something might have short curcuited in the power supply, give me the the name of your computer and id... if you built it (???) then give me the name of the parts, ill see what i can do.

dino2489

i have an ibm netvista... everything is stock exept for the video card: Geforce 4 MX4400se

Alright this is what you do, first of all, have you ever taken apart a computer, peice by piece? and do you have another computer to test stuff on???

cause I want to know wether it is the mobo(includes processor) or the ram. If one of there don't work the rest don't, and I also want to know if the computer get powere to it, like the fans work and the cd drive work... cause if its only the screen that does not show its either because you burned the mobo(not good) or you video card got damaged, Also does your mobo have and onboard video? I need all of this info plz:)

dino2489

Yes, Ive taken apart computer before, but only big parts (hardrive, videocard etc.) not all the way. and yes i have another computer to test stuff on.

The computer does get power to it, the fans work, the cd drives can be opened and closed with no problem. The computer sounds just like before.

However i dont know if i have an onboard video on my mobo, how do you check for that?

thanks

there should be an extra slot for the monitor. I don't think you have one. anyway, it does not have to be your computer it could also be your monitor. so test the monitor. now if you can try replacing the grafix card from the other system and see if anything is showing. Keep on doing this(the harddrive could not be affected starting up the mobo.) so forget testing the harddrive. what I think it is, is either the video card, monitor, or worse you might need an entirly new processor and mobo.
P.S. if the video card in implanted into the mobo then forget about the video card. just try the rest.
I hope this ell help you, and also if it is your mobo and processor then ill teach you how to put in a new one.

dino2489

yes i have two slots in the back for my monitor, one from my graphics card and the other that came with the computer. ive already tested out monitors from other computers in the house. They dont work on my computer. the video card IS implanted to the mobo, does that mean its toast? My friend is about to get a new mobo/processor etc. i dont know if hes getting a new video card. but he said he'll give me his old stuff... i think its 2.66 amd athlon

thats what i think it comes down to, my mobo got fried

ps i can see a light on the mobo, does that make any difference?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online