1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Starting In Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by flavallee, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    Someone I know is having a problem with her computer starting only in safe mode after she ran Spybot and Ad-aware and deleted all the spyware entries that they found. She has tried to get it to startup in normal mode, but is having no luck. I have advised her to do a scanreg /restore. I have not heard from her yet to see if it worked. Any advise would be appreciated. I believe she is using 98SE.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Scanreg /restore will probably work but result in a lot of "missing" file messages. She will need also to use the "recovery" option under the Spybot S&D tab.

But sometimes people think they are in Safe Mode when there is really just a problem with screen resolution. I'd want to know whether it actually says "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners.

Also if it is a Win98 or 95 OS this can be caused by the presence of the Wnbootng.sts file in the Windows directory. This needs to be deleted.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q143/2/83.asp&NoWebContent=1

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    R_R:

I just heard from her this morning. She advised that the "scanreg /restore" failed. She also said that her computer is starting in normal mode, but that it's stuck on "16-color, 640 X 480" mode. She has decided to take her computer somewhere to get it looked at. She lives in Canada, so seeing the problem first-hand isn't an option for me. Thanks for the comment about the WNBOOTNG.STS file. I'll try to recontact her, see if her computer has the file, then have her delete it. I've also suggested that she reinstall the video drivers, or any updated ones.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's going to be a video driver problem. They will need to be reinstalled. If you are able to work with her closely enough to determine what the adapter is and current driver version, if listed, she can get a download from the Vendor's site. If that is too tricky for her, then she'll have to have a shop do it.

If the winbootng file were causing this she would definitely see "safe mode" and usually the startup stops on the boot menu and forces that choice.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks, R_R. I never knew about the WNBOOTNG.STS file until I started this post. I checked my own 98SE desktop and was happy to see that this file doesn't exist. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice