1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer starting up and running painfully slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rechoired, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rechoired

rechoired Thread Starter

It started about 24 hours ago when I started up my computer and it took quite a bit longer than normal. By this I mean that it took 50 minutes for the computer to start up and load all the programs. However it's completely fine when I run it in safe mode.

I have run my anti virus program and it didn't come up with anything serious, I've also restored and deleted a lot of unnecessary programs.

I'm running vista and if it makes any difference I just started using my laptop again on Tuesday for the first time in three months.

Thanks for any help!

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Did you also update and run your antimalware scan ? Do you have the latest windows updates ? Did you try running cleanup disk ( run cleanup disk weekly but be sure to restart the computer right after installing , updating , or removing a program so they are properly installed in the registry and don't get corrupted ) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

3. rechoired

rechoired Thread Starter

thanks so much for your response!

I tried to run my malware scan after the virus scan but my computer then froze and I had to restart it which took 50 minutes of my time which is when I came here. The latest window updates were installed on Tuesday, though I believe one failed and I'm not sure why. I ran CCleaner and removed all the files it suggested and do run it quite frequently. Also since I have been back I've installed many updates such as Java, MSN, and others that I can't remember at the moment.

I didn't know that about restarting each time! I will be sure to do that from now on.

edit: and when I say it's fine in safe mode I mean more than fine. It's fast and feels like my computer does regularly. Not going to lie though I'm not computer savvy so I have no idea what that could mean :/.

4. Veryfrustratedus

Veryfrustratedus

Sounds like you should go to the malware removal section and have it looked at. Something is not running in safe mode that is running in regular mode that is slowing you down.
    Safe mode runs w'o a lot of the regular programs. This means one of your regular programs is malfunctioning. Malware removal programs freezing also is a good sign you have an infection.

Didn't mean to step on your help how'didothat

5. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    "I ran CCleaner and removed all the files it suggested and do run it quite frequently. " This tells me that any updates for your antispyware and antivirus and windows updates may be corrupted. Please right click on your antivirus and antispyware icons next to your clock and click end or exit ( a microsoft warning will popup saying your unprotected, disregard it for now ) Then click Start / Control Panel / Programs & features and find and remove your antivirus and antispyware. Then run ccleaner to remove any traces and restart the computer. Then install http://www.free-av.com/

6. rechoired

rechoired Thread Starter

thanks guys! I looked through the malware stuff but will try the antivirus stuff first.

7. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Veryfrustratedus no worries I'm just taking care of the basics and will have rechoired move this thread to the malware forum for a lookover to be sure things are fine. rechoir we still have more to be done yet.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    rechoired:

Go here and click the green icon to download HijackThis 2.0.2.

Close all open windows, then install it in its default location.

Run a scan with it - which will take 30 seconds or less.

Save the resulting log in Notepad.

Return here, then copy-and-paste the entire log here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

CCleaner is dangerous for novices and newbies to use because it allows you to remove things that you shouldn't. You especially want to avoid the registry cleaner section.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/886606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice