1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer starts, blank screen. Desperate for help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by missalissa, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missalissa

missalissa Thread Starter

COMPUTER DETAILS:

HP Envy 34" All in One, model 1039801
    Windows 10
    2tb 5400 RPM SATA and 128 SSD
    16 gig Memory
    No optical drive
    4x USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI out, 1x Combination Microphone / Headphone Jack, 1x Media Card Reader

I woke up yesterday and my 6 month old computer boots to a blank, black screen. No windows logo at startup. I can hear the fan whirring when I start, but then nothing else. I know I can't fix permanently, this but I am desperately hoping I can get it functional enough to pull information off of the 2tb drive. Methods I've already tried to fix this:
    • shutting down, unplugging for hours, then plugging back in
    • hitting escape repeatedly while booting
    • hitting F10, F5 repeatedly while booting
    • restarting, holding down power button then rebooting
    • holding down Windows+B while booting
    16 short beeps while using the Windows+B method-nothing else worked

HP has agreed to fully refund my purchase, but I cannot open the PC without voiding the warranty (and losing the $2,000 refund). Is there any way to connect to a functional computer long enough to pull off some information? Is there a method I haven't tried? Is a miracle possible?

Thanks in advance!

2. valis

valis Moderator

Define 'open'. If you can remove the hard drive (should be fairly easy) then it is not an issue, as long as the hard drive is okay. If that voids the warranty, just ask the techs to pull the data off. Shouldn't be an issue.

3. missalissa

Thanks for your response!

If I open the physical encasement of the computer to access the hard drive directly, that voids the warranty. HP refuses to do it on their end. I know it's a long shot, but is there anything else at all I could try?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It can be done, you will need a working computer and 2 Usb sticks, one of 4GB or more to put Windows 10 install files onto and another to copy the files you want to recover onto.

Now follow the procedure here to make a Windows 10 64 bit install Usb stick :-
    www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    click the + sign next to 'Using the tool to create installation media ...' to see the instructions, make sure you make the 64 bit version.
    You won't use it to actually install 10 so stop after step 5.

Now follow this guide to boot the Usb stick you made and copy files onto the 2nd Usb stick :-
    http://www.howtogeek.com/135005/how...k-up-your-files-when-your-computer-wont-boot/
    Windows 10 should be very similar to the Windows 8 instructions there.

You may need to select the Usb stick as the boot device, do you get anything at all on the screen after switching on ?

If you get stuck or have questions feel free to ask.

5. missalissa

Allan, thanks for your response. I'm going to carefully read over all of these links and instructions, but I wanted to answer your question first:

I don't get anything at all after turning on the PC. The screen is blank and black-no Windows logo or anything else displays (but you can tell the power is on, if that distinction makes sense) but I do hear fans whirring and the power light does switch on. Does that change anything about the above instructions that you've provided?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It could be difficult to get the computer to boot the Usb stick, if you're lucky it will boot ok but if the boot device order has the internal hard drive set to boot before a Usb stick you would have to change that 'blind' as there's no display.

(A quick tip - when you reply type into the small window at the bottom of the page and use it's 'Post Reply' button; using the large 'Reply' button under the previous post will quote that post in your reply).

7. missalissa

Thanks again for your reply (and the quick tip!)

I am willing to try anything and everything at this point so the first order of business tomorrow is purchasing USP sticks and diving into your links! Hopefully the internal order boots the USB first, as changing that blind might be beyond my abilities.

8. missalissa

Hi All,

There's been some new developments, but now I have a different problem!

I had a second all-in-one, so I ordered an hdmi-to-hdmi cable and connected the two computers, in a desperate attempt to access the broken computer's hard drive. To my wild delight, the first time I connected the two and started up the failed all-in-one, it started normally! Just long enough to get about half of my stuff off the computer. Then, the screen went blank again and I haven't been able to replicate that success. HOWEVER, when I turn on the all in one now, after the blank screen came up I tried tabbing/entering my password and the machine fired up-still with no display. I know the PC is running because I have Plex on this machine, and I am able to access all of the videos.

SO-my question is what can I do to get the rest of my files from this computer? The screen is blank, but the computer is running. I have it hooked up to a second all-in-one via hdmi but cannot figure out how to move the display over?

Thanks for your help! Since this is a different question, I might create a new post-not sure how to proceed. Thanks again!

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try shining a flashlight onto the screen, there may a dim display and if there is you might be able to see enough to get the files.

Otherwise if you connect a computer Monitor to the other end of the HDMI cable you might get a display on it. Maybe borrow one from a friend if you don't have a Monitor yourself ?

HDMI on computers is usually an output, on monitors it's an input, which is what you want.

You might as well carry on posting in this thread now because all the information is already here.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice