1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer starts but not monitor

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by glaze007, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glaze007

glaze007 Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPS600 geforce 7900gtx sb xifi left computer on lastnight went to bed, got up this morning computer was off. Bit power button to come on the button just clicks starts to come on then goes off. After clicking button a while it finally comes on. Fans power up cd drvies power up sounds like everything is running but the screen will not come on, it stays black. I have taken out video card an sound card cleaned an reseated. Checked all cables inside all is pluged an seated properly.
    So the short of it is computer shutoff itself an now when comes on monitor will not power up but fans an drvies do.

any suggestion with this would be appreciated, since im starting to thing my mobo as died.

2. Megabite

Megabite

What happens if you take all memory sticks out and start the PC?

How old is it?

3. glaze007

glaze007 Thread Starter

ive went thro 1 stick at a time an the problem still remains the same. is 4 years old

4. Megabite

Megabite

and what happens with them ALL memory sticks out

5. glaze007

glaze007 Thread Starter

it will cut on but no display still

6. Megabite

Megabite

Does this PC have integrated graphics card

7. glaze007

glaze007 Thread Starter

no i have a sound blaster xifi which i have removed as well an tried still the same

8. Megabite

Megabite

Can you try another graphics card from somewhere or try that one in another PC?

9. glaze007

glaze007 Thread Starter

dont have an extra vid card here an other pc is an older model card wont fit it. thing is it is a fairly new card havnt had very long it powers up fans on the card an seems to be functioning . another thing that seems to have started i have to click the power button on the machine several times before it will come on.

10. Megabite

Megabite

Could be the power switch or maybe the PC power supply

11. glaze007

glaze007 Thread Starter

would it be the PSU even with everything powering up fully? everything seems to be fully powered just not the monitor. am at a loss about ready to pull out the shotgun an finish it off!

12. Megabite

Megabite

Yes the Power Supply may cause the problem as it doesn't get the correct voltage to post........but checking the video card would help

13. glaze007

glaze007 Thread Starter

ok ill dig around an see if i have an old card sumwhere that will go in it pretty sure dont have antyhing but can hope i guess. appreciate the help on trying to figure this out.

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Remember that just because some lights light up and fans turn and optical drives are able to open and close does not mean the computer is running properly. these things can all work yet the motherboard isn't recieving the proper power to run. The first thing to really suspect is the power supply, it also a cheaper part to replace than the motherboard would be and easier too. Of course it would be a quick check to try the Monitor on another computer just to rule that out.

15. Megabite

Megabite

See if you can borrow one ...or test yours in another PC......and while your doing that try another monitor or try yours on another PC.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice