1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer starts shuts down almost immediately

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SteveChance, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveChance

SteveChance Thread Starter

Hey all,
    I have a PCChips M830LR mobo with Athlon XP 1800 with a 300W power supply. When I start the computer the lights will come on with no harddrive activity. And after around 3 seconds it shuts down. I have reseated everything, and tried removing everything with the same results. So I'm thinking this is either Power Supply, Processor, or Motherboard. I have tried clearing CMOS to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Steve, welcome to TSG.

Does the cpu fan spin? Or is there a fan on that chip :confused:

Another thing...if you have more than one stick of ram, pull any extras and try with only one at a time.

3. SteveChance

There is a CPU fan and it does spin up. I haven't tried with just one stick of ram but have with none and received the same result. I will try that though. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the response.

Steve

4. ~Candy~

Also look for the motherboard to be shorting out against the case.

5. SteveChance

thanks will do.

Do you think it could be the Power Supply or do these symptoms indicate something else?

6. ~Candy~

Could be....what you might try....disconnect all hard drives, cdroms, etc. and try to boot with a bootable floppy disk to a dos prompt. If that works, it's definitely a power issue.....if it doesn't work.....it doesn't necessarily mean that it IS a power issue.

7. SteveChance

Already tried that. Thanks again.
    Great info Lurker 1 thanks to you also.

Steve

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

9. matayus

matayus

I have the same problem as SteveChance and unfortunately already tried all mentioned (but I didn't think of the boot to floppy, nice touch! :) ) No conclusion as of yet...
    Anyway, refering to AcaCandy's post:
    "Also look for the motherboard to be shorting out against the case."

Here is something that I've been wondering for a while and could apply in this case. The newer motherboards of recent years, no longer held by our favourite white plastic knobs, as you know are screwed into the new little metal brackets. Now I have never had any problems with just putting the screw through the mobo holes into the brackets, but have come across ones in the past with those little red paper-like washers to give a non-metal barrier between the screw and the mobo. To clear this question, would this count as a means of shorting the motherboard? I've never had a problem, but I wanted to clear the issue.

Thanks for the posts guys/gals, it's wonderful to get thoughts of others pondering similar problems.

10. ~Candy~

No, we're speaking of a part of the board actually touching the case. If you can see beneath it, that shouldn't be an issue.

11. matayus

matayus

That's what I thought. Thanks a bunch AcaCandy

*Salutes*

12. matayus

matayus

I did run into the answer to my problem and I thought pertinent to post it.

I tried all the above, as well as checking a power supply for a station that was sitting there working. The same effect occured each time no matter what I tried, it would power on, P/S & CPU fan spun, HD activity, everything ok, but no POST, it shuts off within 5 seconds.

In my situation I found that it was my switch in my ATX case that was the problem. I hooked up the mobo w/CPU, video, RAM, floppy & HD and it worked in the other machine that was working fine, with the switch that is resident in that case.

Hope this adds another good possibility to those of you having the same problem.

Cheers!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/87755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice