1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer still freezing during during games

Discussion in 'Games' started by 63kittykat, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 63kittykat

63kittykat Thread Starter

:mad:i dont think its an overeating problem- i read somewere something about BIOS, what shal i do?
    there is something fishy going on with our computer and have been unable to get tot he bottm of it, how can i find out whats wrong? it is ding it to al of ur games- even the ones that are small to run and have ben played ith for years successfuly on this computer. now it seems the computer is totally bugged or something is akilter.
    i have ased elviron for help- but other contributers are welcome and elviron if you are reading this, i have sent you a message asking virtually the same thing.(n)(n)(n)(n)(n) boo hoo not happy

2. Mooncatt

Mooncatt

imo it would be unlikely that its the bios at fault.....i know this is a silly question and gets asked all the time, but are you graphic drivers up to date?? if not, make sure they are!
    you say you "dont think" its an over heating problem.....it could well be the problem. if you are using an nvidia card then download nvmonitor, this will give you the temps of all your hardware i.e gfx card, cpu etc etc
    Also make sure your sound drivers are up to date, this is also a common problem for freezes as well.
    it would be also useful if you can provide your system specs.

3. burntreality

burntreality

4. Mooncatt

Mooncatt

heheh nice eyes burn, didnt realise it was the same person lol
    but yer, get rid of all the nasty viruses first, im pretty sure once thats fixed things will return to normal. i posted some links on your other thread for free anti virus programs, lemme know how things work out

5. GeorgeTechGuru

GeorgeTechGuru

Have you tried upgrading your Power Supply?

6. 63kittykat

mooncat- i want to get rid of these advet trojans first before i d anything else- then ill look into the heating stuff- ive done a heating diagostcs and elviron looked at it on this forum- he said it was ok but one of them wa a bit hot- i need a fancy new cooling system/fan but not getting one as will upgrade next.so how can i get rid of these advet trojans?
    somene on my other post gave me this link which sacnned it and then said it would remove it for me but they wantde me t register for money first.
    is there any way i can get rid of trojans and virus's for free r paying for it the only way?

7. GeorgeTechGuru

GeorgeTechGuru

Use Microsoft Security Essentiels anti virus.

8. Mooncatt

Mooncatt

not being funny george but how would upgrading the PSU get rid of viruses?

9. GeorgeTechGuru

GeorgeTechGuru

I was reffering back to the main question about games freezing, because the PSU my not be supplying enough electricity to the computer components.

10. 63kittykat

do you mean the power lead that goes from the plug to the computer?
    if so, my one totally conked out- then i bought out a dusty one that is years old from the cupboard and i thought it worked fine- could this be causing problems?
    i think your change your name to sherlock

11. 63kittykat

mooncatt, i think sherlock was referring to the way my computer kept freezing when playing certain games on the computer, i thoguht it was an over heating problem but sherlock thinks it coulod be not enough power or interupted power surges- i call him sherlock, because i did have a power chord that fizzed, sparkled and died and then i bought out an old dusty one that was ancient but thought it would do the job as it powered up the computer fine, didnt occer to me that a twenty year old power chord would be a bit dodgy. shall i get a new one do you think?
    had to completely wipe off the computer in the end- fiddled about with the scans and putting files in "chests" and chanign registrys- figured that unless a pro saw the computer- there was too many persistant problems- so now have a new vista back on and im currently downloading thedrivers back on- tryingto locate some sound at the mo- you have no idea what its like being me and having a son thats into his computer- and only having me to rely on- butt hen i suppose plenty of med out there can claim to be just as hopeless- do you think? i know i had to tell a male friend of mine how to do a disk clean up- as he let his computer get so chocker full of crap that it hardly moved- his family of five used it and even the recycle bin was crammed full of a thousand songs- when the disk clean up finally trudged through the crap that was on there- there was like a thousand million bites (whatever) to be wiped off- took about thyree hours to get rid of it all. so i cant really claim to be that rubbish- although sometimes i do despair at myself. so when ive finished with the drivers- what security shall i put on there? i will down load that chest thingy again- that was good fun- putting files into quarantione- sounds good and sensible thing to do- what else do i need to download?- without weighing my computer down with a load of niftyn looking stuff that takes up a lot of space

12. burntreality

burntreality

Lol, what is was referring to was the Power Supply (PSU) you are referring to the surge protector it sounds like.
    If you wiped your computer you shouldn't have to worry about quarantining things (I would set some rules for your son). Since you are doing a clean reinstallation of the operating system I would recommend put the Malware programs and Virus programs in place before you let your son get ahold of the computer again. Putting these things in place can stop alot of these problems before they become problems.

13. Mooncatt

Mooncatt

hehehee, no its not the PSU, if that were the case the computer would simply shut down or not even boot in the first place. in your situation kitty and all that we have talked about in the PMS i would seriously just reformat the PC and have done with it, its much easier than trying to kill and the possible viruses you have on the PC.

14. DSdavidDS

DSdavidDS

Well....first of all, do what regular people would tell you to do, Virus scan 1 each time using Spyware doctor and avg provided by Google Pack and uninstall after you are done if you want.

Next, your graphics card may be outdated so try to update them all. (Manually by going to Device Properties or Automatically by getting a program)

Some of the suggestions posted above are helpful so try them out also

Restore your computer to an earlier time

If none of these options work, then keep asking or wipe your hard drive only if nessesary

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice