1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer still shutting off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dragoncdf, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

I posted awhile back about my computer just shutting off and not coming back on for awhile. I thought I would post a update. Gate way had me remove the RAM and hard drive and put them back in. That didn't work so I was told to reinstall windows xp and wipe my hard drive clean. For 2 days it seemed fine then this morning after 30 minutes it cut off. When I do try to power on when this occures I see the power light,hard drive light,plus my dvd drive lights up,and hear the fans. No light on keyboard or mouse. I went into the bios and found the fan controls. After sitting there a little while it said the cpu was at 133F. The fans are working. One thing though when in the bios it listed 3 fans the first 2 told the speed the one listed as the front says 0. When looking at the computer I see a fan for the video card and one in the back.

2. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

Can some please answer this. A small update before this all started I could hear the computer fans running. Since this started it's been real quit. I check with speedfan and it says there running at 2000rpm with the cpu at 130F and hard drive at 99 to 113F. Just now I went in the bios to check the temp and after exiting the fans are running at 9000rpm and the temps are cpu is 117F and holding. The hard drive is at 91F. How fast should the fans be going?

3. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

Anybody? I think the fan speed being too low causes the computer to overheat and shut down. Is there a way to keep the fan speeds at max without having to keep entering the bios? I can't get speedfan to change the fan speed.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

A bad power supply or overheating are two common causes of shutting down. 133F isn't too high for most CPUs. What CPU do you have?

What does Speedfan show for your voltages?

5. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

I have a 3.2 gig pentium 4. The voltages speedfan shows is +2.5V: 1.48V
    Vcore: 1.32V +3.3V: 3.35V +5V: 5.17V +12V: 12.13V in case you need this my motherboard is a Intel Augsburg D915GAG.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!