1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer still wont work!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hayesg1980, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hayesg1980

hayesg1980 Thread Starter

I have a homebuilt computer with Clleron 1.7 Pross.512 Cucial memory(Now)Asus Motherboard.I attempted to update this thing with a second Crucial Memory Stick,thats when my problems started.The coputer refused to run,All the Fans & LEDs work but the Monitor gives me a message that it is going to sleep & does so.I have takes the New 512 Stick out and am using the 512 stick that used to work fine with no effect,Red & Green HD & Systemm lights stay on,Dont know what to do next??HELP

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning hayesg1980, working with hundreds of millions of electrical components requires absolute care.
    Ensure you always follow proper antistatic procedures and always ensure the power lead is unplugged from the rear of the machine before touching any internals. (whatsoever)

With the machine arranged in the original functional state what happens when you turn it on.

Does the LED on the monitor change state to green? (from yellow)
    Is there any screen activity or writing visible?
    qldit.

3. brite750

brite750

I hope you used the right kind of ram for the new stick? and just as a thought you may want to reset the bios

4. hayesg1980

The monitor displays that there is no Signal.then it goes to sleep?Starts out with a blue Led then changes to Yellow(H.P.15"Flat Pannel Display}

5. hayesg1980

MOITOR displays the proper resolution then states no Signal is availailable???

6. brite750

brite750

I have to ask, you didnt put the ram in while the pc was still plugged in i hope

7. hayesg1980

No I had the Computer unplugged when making the change,what gets me I have retured to the oginal configuration,still wont work!!

8. accat13

accat13

did you clear the cmos (CLRTC)

9. qldit

qldit

Try running the system as minimal config with all superflous items removed.
    Just have the PSU, processor and fan, one stick memory, and video.(with monitor)
    You can even discon mouse and keyboard.
    If nothing can be made to appear on screen try another video card or try your card in another machine.
    Test memeory in another machine.
    If memory and video check OK you are down to three items.

Power supply, M/B and processor.

At a guess I would suspect the M/B has been affected by "static" or "Stray charges", but you might try a different PSU.

Those Celerons usually are relatively robust.
    qldit.

10. hayesg1980

How does one Clear the CMOS?

11. qldit

qldit

Have a look at your m/b manual, some modern boards have a specific routine that must be followed.
    The older ones could be reset simply by removing the battery and placing a conductive tool across the terminals in the battery holder for several minutes.
    Some had a bridge that needed to be place in a "clear" position but there are different procedures involved with some of these.

While you have the battery out get a meter and check it's voltage, it should show better than 2.8 volts DC. (nominal 3V type 2036)
    Be careful to refit it in the socket correctly, you get one chance to get it right!
    qldit.

12. rhynes

rhynes

This is gonna sound really silly, but is there a reset button on your computer, if so, unplug it for fun? That one's bit me in the arse more times than I can count...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/493375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice