computer stops before ms dos can start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kenneyg57

I belive the best way to learn how to do something is good old hands on training but my hands on is getting me no where. I have a computer (nothing fancy) that I use to learn on (ie; putting in hard drives, fdd, sound cards, just about anything you can put inside the case of my computer (which is a hp 486dx2 200 mhz) nothing fancy but easy to work on until now. whatever I have done I've done good. no matter what I change (hard drive, fdd, cables) and no matter how I make the computer boot up (by hard drive or by disk, as soon as the message "starting ms dos" it stops. regardless of what I try to do (f5,f8, hold the ctrl key down or the shift or change boot disks.) I can get to the set up screen to change system settings which are all set to default. but I can't get to the "c" prompt or bypass config.sys or autoexec.bat I have windows 95 and 98 on the various hard drives that I have tried, but again everything stops when "starting ms dos" starts. confused and hope someone can help.

When Initialising Windows 95 / 98 it should not show up as looking for Dos. Try removing all power from the unit. Removing the CMOS battery (you will loose the clock settings) and leave it for a while (until the capacitors lose their stored energy), then Re-Install the CMOS battery and boot up. This will clear any static lock-up on your system.

Post back with results.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online