1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer Struggling With Using 2 Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eyeball388, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eyeball388

Eyeball388 Thread Starter

So long story short, I've tried everything I know to do (Keep in mind I'm relatively new to computers) and when I plug in more than one hard drive, it can't be detected. The only way to have more than one running at once is to wait for windows to boot and as soon as it boots, plug in my SATA cable. Only then do I have 2 hard drives being recognized. I'm not sure what to do about this.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello, Eyeball388, and welcome to TSG.

You are leaving out considerable details about the hardware.

Are we safe to assume ...

1) You are talking about a desktop computer.

2) You are talking about two internal HDDs, both of which use SATA connections?

3) Your computer was able to operate normally with one HDD containing a bootable operating system and you are trying to add a second HDD for more storage?

4) Your original drive continues to use the same motherboard SATA header when you add the second drive?

If all of this is correct, have you gone into the BIOS settings to confirm that the original drive is ahead of the second drive in the boot order?

How are you checking that the second drive is not recognized when booting up with both drives? Are you just using Windows Explorer or the disk management control panel?

What version of Windows are you running?

What is the brand and full model number of the second drive?

What is the brand and full model number of the computer and/or the motherboard?

What, if anything, is currently stored on the second drive?

3. Eyeball388

Thank you for your assistance cwwozniak (Sorry for the missing info, I'm new to using these types of forums or any in general tbh)

Quick note, I have an older mobo from a friend and the same issue happens with that.

1) I am using a desktop computer

2) They are both internal, both using SATA connections

3) That's exactly correct. I'm posting this forum using my computer.

4) The SATA headers are the same.

I haven't gone into the BIOS. Any tips so I don't mess things up?

I'm using the disk management control panel.

I'm running Windows 10

Both drives are 500 gig WD blues. I'm not sure where the model # is on the hdd. I'm sorry about this.

The mobo is an MSI Z370 gaming plus. Same problem with the hdd, I'm not sure what the model # is.

Nothing is currently being stored on the second drive.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check the motherboard documentation to see if the boot HDD needs to be plugged into a specific SATA port and then make sure it is plugged into that port. Power up with both drives connected and go into the BIOS settings. Go into the SATA settings and make sure the SATA port for the second drive is enabled and see if the drive is listed along with the original drive. If they are both showing, check the boot order and confirm the old drive is the boot drive. If you made any settings changes, save them and reboot into Windows

Open the Hardware Device manager and see if there are any warnings or errors. If all looks good, check the Disk management control panel. If the second drive is not showing, then we both are scratching our heads trying to figure out what is going.

If this is a brand new drive, have your formatted and partitioned it?

5. Eyeball388

So pretty much I got the hdd to show, but upon a restart it went missing again. For this I didn't have to do anything in BIOS
    The control panel also said it was there.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I'm getting a bit lost here.
    Is the new HDD always showing up in the Hardware Device Manager and Disk Managment control panels when the computer is booted with the new HDD connected?

7. Eyeball388

No. It’s difficult to do and if it shows up once, it doesn’t show up again for a while. Basically it only works sometimes

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you tried a different SATA cable and a different power plug from the PSU?

9. Eyeball388

I guess the SATA cable died at some point. I got unlucky because I've tried multiple SATA cables and none of them worked. I just got a new one and when I tried it guess what. It worked! Now I just look dumb but hey, it happens to the best of us. Thank you for the help.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I probably would have been doing the same thing after trying another cable or two and the problem didn't go away. About the only other thing that came to mind would have been a broken solder joint for the SATA connector on the HDD or the motherboard.

You can mark this topic as Solved using the button by your first post.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice