computer stuck in DOS Mode please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Xenos

I recently made the mistake of helping out a friend install a game called Redneck Rampage, a DOS game on his computer. Well, when i restarted the computer is DOS mode, it put me on a black screen and described the game stuff and at the end of it said : C:/ Windows I didnt know what to type after that...got bad error/file name. So, I tried rebooting my computer to get into normal mode(not DOS MODE). Well it wont let me go back to normal mode, I cant get to windows desktop or nothing...just that black screen. What do I do to get back to normal windows and have it not go into DOS Mode?

Computer Specs:
IBM Pentium 2 400 Megahertz
128 megs of ram
Windows 98

Try renaming Autoexe.bat to Autoexec.sav and Config.sys to Config.sav. Then reboot. If that not the problem, edit MSDOS.SYS and it should look like:

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
BootDelay=0
DoubleBuffer=1
Dblspace=0
Drvspace=0
AutoScan=1

Just type in Win and press enter. You should be able to run RR from a DOS window inside of windoze. I have done it before.

Xenos

So if I type WIN, will it let me out of DOS Mode? or will let me play the game and then when you restart the computer you are in regular mode?

You need to restore your normal autoexec.bat file, or just bypass it altogether, which is what Dan O is suggesting. The DOS game has altered it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q130448

Once you are in Windows, if you are continuing to have a startup problem, post the contents of the autoexec.bat file. If you haven't renamed it, you can view it by going to start and running:

notepad /autoexec.bat

or notepad /whatever you renamed it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online