Solved Computer Stuck In Mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jknomen

Hello! Thanks for viewing my post. I have a Dell all-in-one PC. I was recently cleaning out my computer (
Or at least attempting to) and I was using the control panel to uninstall unused programs to free up space. I finally got towards the end of uninstalling my applications and programs and I came to the last one, which prompted that I restart the computer in order to fully finish the removal of the program. I proceeded to restart the computer, but when it powered back on it didn't boot up properly. The computer said it had failed to load or something like that and said it would be put in recovery mode. So, I allowed it to do it's thing and I was prompted by a blue screen after it had finished. It asked me to choose a keyboard language, and then brought me to a screen that said "Choose an option". The options were to "Turn off your PC" with a power icon, and "Troubleshoot" with a tool icon. After clicking the Troubleshoot option, it provided me with a list titled "Advanced Options" and under it were the following options: System Restore, System Image Recovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, UEFI Firmware Settings, and Go back to the previous version. I have tried all of the options listed, but to no avail. Even after rebooting, all it does is bring me back trough the same process and gives me the same options. I have tried all the advanced options listed and none of them have been successful in allowing me to use my PC regularly. The computer has been this way for months on end, and I have researched and tried every possible solution to this problem. If anyone can provide some help, even factory resetting the computer at least that would still be greatly appreciated. I really just want the PC to work again, I don't really care how it's done or whether or not I get my files or anything back off of the PC. Please help me. Thanks in advance!

P.S- I am uploading this from someone else's laptop, the computer I mentioned is unable to do anything else other than display the screens and options stated above.

jknomen

what were the programs and apps you uninstalled
I uninstalled some games, some Custom Content files for The Sims, and some other programs I didn't need. I don't remember exactly because of how long ago it was, but I do believe that I just may have unistalled a core app that helped the PC run or something.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I see now it was months ago, as there is no rush I will advise further sometime on Tuesday

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. It may be worthwhile going to Command Prompt
On the cmd prompt type

bcdedit | find /i "OSDEVICE"

you must type it as shown
press enter on keyboard
It will return the letter where Windows is installed = it is not necessarily C at the recovery cmd prompt
when you have the letter
type
chkdsk <the drive letter>: /F /X
for instance if the previous cmd returned E:
chkdsk e: /F /X

the press enter again
If it reports errors have been fixed see if windows will now boot

2. If that fails go back to the screen where you entered advanced options and on there you should have startup settings - usually on the lower right of the window below UEFI firmware - you MAY have to click show more recovery options
On that screen choose SAFE mode with networking

Try again and see if it boots and loads windows

3. IF still no success proceed as below and on that option we can definitely get you back working with a fresh install of 10 and recover your personal data first if you so wish

Go here and make yourself a usb installation from the download for windows 10
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

follow the procedure using the tool - to create installation media for use on another computer
All you need to do is to go to the site
click on that entry - using the tool and follow the procedure
selecting as shown on the link 32 or 64 bit - probably 64 but check
language
and then select windows 1o
as shown in the box on that part of the guide on the link

Post back when you have the USB ready plese.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I take it the other options failed
I will wait to hear from you when you have the usb made and have booted the computer with it
I suggest you wait until I then post the way to proceed, if you want to get any of your data

jknomen

I actually somehow managed to get to this step in the installation process by playing in some settings and getting my BIOS to boot to the USB. I am stuck now though. I can't do the first option because it says that I can't do it because I am booting from Windows Installation Media. I however got to the second one, and I am stuck there because it's asking me to install to a "partition" or "hard drive" or whatever it is, but it keeps saying that it can't be installed to it because it is of the "GPT partition style". I provided some pictures very similar to what I'm seeing from online.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you could answer the question on my last post
I take it the other options failed
so did please the options I offered of chkdsk and safe mode from your previous boot into recovery mode - not to the installation disc - fail
OR did you not try them.

The screenshot you have attached now - the second one from online is not I think exactly what you are seeing. WHAT capacity is shown in that window on your computer
An upgrade as you so correctly say cannot be done in your circumstances

If you did not try the options I suggest you go back and do so

What is the make and full model of the computer
I suspect you have chosen the wrong boot for the USB
You need to boot the USB in UEFI mode not legacy mode
What capacity is your drive on the computer - if you know

Last edited:

jknomen

Neither of the options you have mentioned have worked. I tried command prompt and typed it EXACTLY as it was showed and it didn't return a letter at all. I tried the second option, but my screen does not display startup settings, nor an options for more recovery options. So, I have proceeded with making the thumb drive with the ISO on it. In the screenshot that you are referring to, it appears as follows:
Name Total Size Free Space Type
Drive 0 Partition 1: ESP 5000.0 MB 470.0MB System
Drive 0 Partition 2: Diags 40.0 MB 35.0MB OEM (Reserved)
Drive 0 Partition 3 128.0 MB 128.0MB MSR(Reserved)
Drive 0 PArtition 4: WINRETOOLS 750.0 MB 461.0MB Recovery
Drive 0 PArtition 5 919.3 GB 919.1 GB Primary
Drive 0 Partition 6 450.0 MB 55.0 MB Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 7: PBR Image 10.4 GB 740.0 MB Recovery

As for the computer, it's a Dell Inspiron 20 Model 3048 with a storage capacity of 4096 Memory Installed.

jknomen

It also displays a caution sign with the message "Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 3 (Show details)" under the icons below where it displays the partitions and their sizes.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I apologise for the incorrect command
it should read

Bcdedit | find "osdevice"

I am sorry I typed it incorrectly

If you wish to return to the cmd prompt and try that it will then return the os lettered partition
and then you can run a chkdsk /f on that lettered partition using the cmd
chkdsk C: /f
if the cmd returns C:

PLEASE NOTE the startup settings are NOT available on the installation media, but are on recovery from the first procedure on your opening post

Boot to Advanced Startup Options from Windows 10 Installation USB or DVD
The Reset this PC option in "Troubleshoot" and Startup Settings option in "Advanced options" will not be available using this option

However they are if you went to recovery by hard reboot
1. Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off.
2. Press the power button on your PC to turn it on.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above until you see the Windows logo screen or Please wait during boot

Alternatively we can proceed to a clean install if you are sure there is nothing you need

Did you make the USB using the Microsoft procedure or some third party tool and are you sure you have now booted the computer from the USB in UEFI mode
https://www5.nohold.net/Dell/ukp.aspx?ruleid=5478&pid=3&fcid=&fpid=&snid=1&dispid=&cpage=vagent

Check you are in UEFI mode for the boot from the USB - you cannot install to partition 3 as that - if you look again at your list is the reserved partition.

IF you decide to proceed with a clean install - then you delete ALL those partitions until you have and the install will then create new partitions of Recovery. System, Microsoft Reserved and Primary and you install to the Primary partition

jknomen

Unfortuantely, I still don't have the option for startup settings, and the CMD prompt still didn't return any letter. I have also made it so the computer is in UEFI mode and booting up into the Windows Media.

jknomen

I went through the windows media to make the installation USB, no third party.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online