1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer stuck on black screen (blinking /) Bad CD Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nihcolas, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nihcolas

nihcolas Thread Starter

I have a Sony Vaio VGNFSB830/W and I installed Windows on it then deleted the partition with the recovery tools on it.. Bad move, because after restart it went to a black screen blinking the white / . I put the hard drive in my desktop and it works fine so I know it isn't the hard drive. The CD is trying to boot a Windows disc but it won't boot anything.. is there any way I can install something on it then put it back in the laptop and have it boot up? (Willing to try any OS.. just not sure how to do it.)

Thanks.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Optical Read/Write Intermittent or Continuous Problems

Concerning your question about the CD/DVD drive:

Process of elimination:

The first thing to determine is whether this is related to hardware failure or a software problem.

Configure your system's Setup/BIOS/CMOS Setup to look to the optical drive before the hard disk as its boot order. If you do not know how to do this, you may have to consult your system's main board manual.

CMOS Setup/BIOS/Setup screen can be accessed by different methods depending on brand and model of your computer. Most common methods, depending on brand, are to press a certain key during POST (power-on self test) -- Del, F1, F2, F10, listed in the order of their commonality.

Some machines display an instruction on the screen during POST as to which key to press; but, that instruction appears usually for only a second or two and you have only that second or two to press that key.

After setting the boot order, place a known-good bootable disk into the optical drive and restart the system. If the system fails to boot to the optical disk, the drive, itself, has failed.

Bootable disk: A disk that contains the system boot files -- Windows Installation/Setup disk, system recovery disk, etc.

Known-good: Something that has been tested and its operational condition has been verified. In the case of a bootable disk, it has been tested on a working system and it is proven to work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/925483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice