computer stuck on the post screen.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

musiclover

This machine is completely stuck on the post screen. On the bottom of the screen, it says press delete to enter into setup, bu tno matter what I press, it won't go anywhere. It is a brand new mobo with a brand new sempron cpu. I read around and believe it may need a bios update in order to use the sempron, so I downloaded an update from website, and put it on a floppy. Problem is, I cannot get it to boot into the bios, boor from floppy, or go past the post screen at all. Please help.

It could be a couple of things, but if it was my PC I would start dialing up the motherboard manufacturer for warranty service.

If you have two sticks of memory, remove one. If the problem persists, put that one back in and take out the other. I would also thoroughly check to make sure all of the jumpers on the motherboard are configured correctly.

If you are using a usb keyboard, swap it for a ps2 one, and see if that works, if so, you may need to enable usbs or usb kbs in the bios

A NEW motherboard should support a Sempron CPU (depending on exactly WHICH Sempron it is) WITHOUT requiring a BIOS update (though anything is possible). The Sempron CPUs have been on the market for a long time now; unless you've bought the latest-and-greatest Sempron, something just recently released, the existing BIOSes should be able to recognize it. If you'll ID the specific motherboard, the Sempron CPU, and the type of keyboard you're using for us, we'll be able to do some research and tell you if you really do need to flash the BIOS.

Truth be told, even if the CPU is not recognized by the BIOS, you should STILL be able to successfully start the POST process and enter the CMOS Setup program, so I suspect a DIFFERENT problem is at the root of your troubles...

If you're using a USB keyboard, switch to a PS/2 keyboard; make sure you attach it to the proper PS/2 port (the KEYBOARD port). If you're already using a PS/2 keyboard, check to make sure it isn't plugged into the PS/2 mouse port.

When IBM developed the PS/2 connector (for the PS/2 line of computers), they made the connectors PHYSICALLY identical (which was STUPID). Since the PS/2 connectors are physically identical, it is easy to plug a PS/2 keyboard into a PS/2 mouse port, and vice-versa.

The problem you've described can be caused by using the wrong PS/2 port for the keyboard. Check the ports, and don't be afraid to move the keyboard to the OTHER PS/2 connector, to see if that corrects the problem. Do NOT switch ANY PS/2 devices while the system is turned on! Be SURE to shut everything off BEFORE you plug / unplug your PS/2 devices, or you'll most likely have to RMA the motherboard!

Good luck; keep us posted about your progress...

EDIT: OK, so I typed a detailed response, and I'm a SLOW typist...

musiclover

It is a very hard one. This has been a very bad week in terms of luck. This is the 3rd motherboard, 2nd cpu, purchase in an effort to get this machine up and running. At least the processor on this bad boy spins and it gets to the post screen. It is brand new ram, a brand new power supply as well. I have disconnected all ide devices and just plugged in a floppy, even tried a diferent floppy. Still I am stuck with the same stuck issue. Tried diferent memory to no avail. I cannot afford to keep buying parts for this. I thought, maybe the answer is right in front of me, but alas, I am about ready to go throw myself in the river!!! My last hope, is that maybe someone on these boards can somehow find the means to chuck up a hail mary in my direction, and that I just might be able to rise above the many grovelling hands that seem to be trying to drag my a** down and catch that sucker, hanging on for dear life while I fall into... you see where I am heading with this. Please help.

Did you change keyboards as suggested? Did you check the PS/2 ports? If you don't follow the instructions provided, we CAN'T help you...

No one can MAKE you do this; you've requested help and advice, which we've provided. The rest of this is up to you now; focus on resolving the keyboard type / port issues, and let us know what happens.

Good luck with this; we ALL understand your frustration. You seem to have encountered a pretty basic hardware problem, which you should be able to diagnose and correct fairly soon, but you live too far away for me to make a housecall...

musiclover

Sorry, Yes I did try a diferent keyboard. That last post must have come while I was writing my desperation post last night, so I did not read. I have tried two seperated keyboards, one old one fairly new. The motherboards and cpu's have all been brand new, socket 754, to comply with the sempron. Here is something strange to note. If I wait for the post screen to appear after turning on the machine, and start hitting del key then to enter setup, nothing happens at all, it just says press delete to enter setup, but no matter how many times I press it nothing. However, if I turn the machine and right away start hitting delete, When the post screen comes up it says... Entering setup, but it never goes there. Strange indeed. I should mention, that this is the first mobo to actually post with this machine. Even with the brand new power supply, every other board cpu combo I have put in there, has not even started spinning, even when they were not in the box, just sitting on the desk. It is like it is cursed. Thanks for your help so far.

Just to let you know, I believe the reason you are experiencing the problem you've mentioned about entering Setup:

"If I wait for the post screen to appear after turning on the machine, and start hitting del key then to enter setup, nothing happens at all, it just says press delete to enter setup, but no matter how many times I press it nothing."

is because you are waiting TOO LONG to press the DEL key; there is only a SHORT time window where you can press the DEL key and enter Setup. Once the time expires, nothing you do will allow you to enter Setup EXCEPT rebooting the system and starting over.

I think this statement proves that:

"However, if I turn the machine and right away start hitting delete, When the post screen comes up it says... Entering setup, but it never goes there."

I believe THAT indicates that you DO have some control from the keyboard during Setup, though the system HANGS, rather than load the Setup program for you.

See if there is any information on how to CLEAR the CMOS settings in your computer manual. You should be able to unplug the system, then move a jumper on the motherboard to clear the CMOS. It is entirely possible that your problems are being caused by corrupted CMOS settings; find the method to clear the CMOS, follow the steps EXACTLY, then try to boot the system and enter the CMOS settings again. With any luck, you'll get into the CMOS, and be on your way to resolving this.

If you CAN'T find the instructions on how to clear the CMOS in your manual, you can do it the hard way by removing the motherboard battery, and leaving it out for about 15 minutes or so. You'll have to be careful not to damage the system as you work; remember to unplug the PSU COMPLETELY from the wall BEFORE you try to remove the battery, and be SURE you don't damage the battery holder (or anything else) trying to get the battery out. Again, wait about 15 minutes before you reinstall the battery; patience is a virtue when dealing with this type of problem, so make the time work to your advantage.

When the time is up, CAREFULLY reinstall the battery, then reconnect the PSU, and try to boot the system. You just might be surprised by the results of doing this...

Keep us posted on your progress, and thanks for being patient; I'm sure we're getting closer to resolving this, one way or the other...

BTW, I'd like to know SPECIFIC details about that PSU; please post all the information you have for it, so we can research it. A weak PSU is going to cause nothing but grief...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online