1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer stuttering in games and videos and while writing or scrolling

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Remes, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remes

Remes Thread Starter

I am at a loss to what the cause of this is.

I will will be playing team fortress 2 and for about half an hour the game is fine then all of a sudden it starts stuttering madly every time it has to access the HD. It will not cease once it has started and the game becomes unplayable.

Also if I am playing streaming videos online the video will pause while the audio continues and then jump to the correct point again after a few seconds. This will happen a cpl times every minute.

Also when typing in boxes like this the words will freeze for a few seconds before spewing out in a big chunk. Also when scrolling a webpage the same thing happens. I will scroll and it locks up then I keep scrolling and the computer beep noise sounds from the mobo then it unclogs again.

I have now tried reinstallling windows several different times with two different windows versions and also on two different hard drives and still no change.

I didn't have this problem before but I had to reinstall windows cos it was screwing up for other reasons. Now that is fixed (fingers crossed) this thing has cropped up.

I require some new input as I've tried all the variables I can think of at the moment.

Another problem which is stopping me from trying the graphics card is that I tried updating the drivers but when I pick the new drivers they lockup youtube videos and cause a reset. I've tried it with several different versions of catalyst and each time the same problem .

I have a radeon hd4650. My default catalyst drivers I got with the card pick '4600' series as the correct drivers. Now with the new catalysts they have the option of 4600 series as well as 4650 (my box clearly says it is a 4650). So when I try the 4650's it appears to work in games but does the reset thing every time with youtube vids. When I try and pick the 4600 series from the new drivers the driver appears to be the same version as my OLD driver when checking in the display thing [​IMG].

I thought it was maybe something to do with HD but if I installed on two diff HDs I don't see how it could be that. Also two diff versions of windows, fresh installs and exactly the same thing.

Maybe it could be a graphics problem but if the drivers don't work what can I do?

Any other ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice