Computer Stuttering

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Brand

I built a new computer a little ways back and I have run into some problems with the computer stuttering every few seconds (little pauses or freezes on both the audio and video, then it resumes running normally). It seems to happen when watching videos, listening to music, or playing games. It is very frustrating as I am not computer illiterate (though I am far from advanced), but I just cannot figure out what the problem is. Another odd thing is that the stuttering will usually subside after playing certain games for a while, but I have noticed it seems to come back after I use my CD drive. I'll list the specs below, please let me know if you need any additional information. I would appreciate any help y'all could offer.

Specs:

• WD Caviar Hard Drive - 1TB
  • WD Caviar Hard Drive - 500GB
  • HT Omega Striker 7.1 Sound Card
  • XFX GX285NZDFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 Video Card
  • Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
  • G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 x 2 (I have heard having all the slots occupied can result in problems. Thoughts?)
  • PC Power & Cooling 750W Power Supply
  • Vista 64-bit SP2, XP 32-bit SP2, Ubuntu Operating Systems (stuttering occurs in all of them)
  • Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
  • SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
  • GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (has onboard sound, could there be a conflict between it and my third party sound card?)

Since problem occurs in all the O/s installed its not a software problem

make sure your processor is seated properly & the heat sink base is touching the processor

If you feel like there could be a conflict between the sound card try removing the card & use onboard & vice versa
BTW there is an option in bios to disable the onboard sound & Display

I don't think your XP & Ubuntu 32bit supports more that 4 gb RAM

dustyjay

Jay
32Bit XP surely doesn't support more than 4 Gb ram, Do not know about UBUNTU.

Brand

Since problem occurs in all the O/s installed its not a software problem

make sure your processor is seated properly & the heat sink base is touching the processor

If you feel like there could be a conflict between the sound card try removing the card & use onboard & vice versa
BTW there is an option in bios to disable the onboard sound & Display

I don't think your XP & Ubuntu 32bit supports more that 4 gb RAM
Thank you for your response aasimenator. I concur that it is most likely a hardware problem. If I have to strip down my computer I will definitely recheck the heatsink and processor, but when I check temperatures I am having no problems. If the processor was seated incorrectly, would the computer even be working at all? I do plan on yanking the HT Omega eventually if I can't solve this through other means, but I was hoping to gain more knowledge on what could be happening before I did that. I know that neither of those OS support more RAM than that.

Brand

dustyjay, sorry didn't mean to ignore your post there. Ubuntu offers both 32 and 64 bit versions of their operating system. The 32 bit does not use anything past 4GB of RAM, the 64 bit does; just like Windows. I should have clarified that in my last post.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online