1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer stutters horribly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SonnyBA, Sep 14, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. SonnyBA

SonnyBA Thread Starter

hi, I've been having this problem for a few weeks now, my computer is like 8 years old and when I start it, it works perfectly fine for a period of time, like an hour or so, after that it begins to stutter horribly, rendering it unusable.
    the first time this happened was about 2 weeks ago, and I'm assuming it's a hardware issue because I formatted my HDD and installed a different Windows to see if it was software related but the problem is still there.
    the weird thing is that since I reinstalled Windows, the stuttering almost dissapeared, it would happen sporadically and just once every time, which means the computer was perfectly usable, but today it started doing it horribly again.
    if I restart my PC it goes back to normal.

when I say stutter I mean exactly like it happens in this video

except it's a lot worse, and not an isolated thing, it happens every other second.
    and when I move my mouse it obviously stutters as well, and if I hover over something clickable (like links on a website, songs on spotify or even Windows icons) it's even worse.

here's the sysinfo
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (141 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5KPL-AM SE
    Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. Sponsor

3. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello SonnyBA,

Could be an overheating or weak PSU problem, can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the PSU and when you last cleaned out the inside of the case.

Couple of tests for you to do;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

[​IMG]

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on Upload a File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on ..click on Post Reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

4. SonnyBA

SonnyBA Thread Starter

my PSU is rather generic, it's really cheap and chinese
    it says the brand name is "BRB" and the model is "ATX 500 x 24P 2S"
    I cleaned the inside of the case not that long ago, maybe a little over a month.

here's the screenshots, the stuttering is not happening right now so I'll check these programs again as soon as it happens.

2462753738369.jpg 24626357358369.jpg

5. phillpower2

phillpower2

Apologies for the delay getting back to.

Speedfan readings look ok and with the exception of the +12V rail reading which is anomalous the HWMonitor readings look ok as well, these readings will change when the computer is under load but as the issue can happen from boot the problem looks/is less likely to be heat or voltage related.

Is the PSU here the same as yours

6. SonnyBA

SonnyBA Thread Starter

yup, that's the one.

7. phillpower2

phillpower2

Could explain your problem as your video card requires a 300W PSU that has a minimum of 18 amps on the +12V rail, the BRB ATX 500 x 24P 2S is shown to only put out 10 amps, the damage caused by not having enough amps is not always immediately obvious and can sometimes take a while to become apparent.

Couple of questions;

How long have you been using the 9400 GT with the present PSU.

The specs for your MB say that it has onboard graphics, is this correct.

Are you ok with working inside of a computer if we provide the necessary steps.

8. SonnyBA

SonnyBA Thread Starter

about 3 years.

I assume it's correct since it does have a VGA connector, never used it and don't really know how to check though.

you mean like taking the video card out? yes, I'm comfortable with that, I can definitely manage.

9. phillpower2

phillpower2

Would have expected you to have problems with the card well before now if it was down to low amps tbh.

The following only if your screen has a VGA port or you have a DVI to VGA adaptor;

Remove the add on video card and try the MBs VGA port.

Please take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect any attached hardware such as the keyboard and printer etc, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for 10 seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the side of the case, be sure to take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or the PSU.

Carefully remove the add on video card, connect the screen to the MBs VGA port, replace the side of the case and the main power cord, power up, test and post back with an update for us.

10. SonnyBA

SonnyBA Thread Starter

sure, it'll take me some time to do this AND test, but I will update.

11. phillpower2

phillpower2

No problem, take as long as you need and any questions along the way please ask.

12. SonnyBA

SonnyBA Thread Starter

well I finally got to it and tested it, the problem's still there, so it wasn't the video card.

13. phillpower2

phillpower2

Have you still got the screen connected to the MBs VGA port.

To see if we can determine that the issue is driver related please restart the computer in Safe Mode without Networking, if not sure "how to" see MS info below copy/paste below;

1. Remove any CDs or DVDs from your optical drive/s then restart your computer.
    Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Shut Down button , and then click Restart.
    2. Do one of the following:
    • If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
    • If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.
    3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Safe Mode without Networking option and then press Enter.
    4. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
    When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of your monitor.

Use the computer as you normally would to see if the issue is still present.

To exit Safe Mode simply restart your computer and let Windows start normally.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196334