1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer stutters, possibly GPU problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tacocaster, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tacocaster

Tacocaster Thread Starter

Alright, here we go. For about two to three months now my computer has been stuttering on me. It will "pause" for 20 - 30 seconds and then begin to behave normally again. It will normally do this in spurts, a couple of times a day and then it won't happen for a few days. I honestly don't remember if, when I have music playing, it repeats the same segment of music or if the music continues playing. Moving on, the comp freezes, the image on screen freezes, no mouse control, and when it comes back around, generally, both monitors flash black and I go back about my business. There has been a few times that I have received errors on my monitor saying no input, but the computer was on, and to my knowledge, it didn't crash. Most of the time if I turn off the monitors and back on again, I am good to go. All of this goes on while playing World of Warcraft, AIM, web browsing. So I cannot pinpoint say, a particular application which would be causing this. I am running the computer listed in my signature. My CPU temp has ranged from 33C - 46C (under load) and my GPU temp has reached 61C. As far as I know both of those are well within the allowable limits. Due to my silly habits of spending money I did purchase a Thermalright XP-120 and am running a 120mm fan on it. This has dropped my CPU temps to ~31C- 40C (under load). So I am completely happy with the temp drop but the problem is not solved, but honestly, i didn't think it would. Anyways, any idea about this stuttering?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

First thing I would do is rule out vermin and run online scanners which are much better at finding new stuff, than what is onboard already let it in if you get my drift.
    www.ewido.net
    www.bitdefender.com
    Then if you could tell us what is checked here:
    Run,msconfig,ok,startup
    and finally I would check nvidia site for newest chipset drivers...one thing that has been very problmeatic with nforce4 though are the ide drivers from nvidia and any other drivers other than chipset, I would uninstall...but after checking all the other stuff first. And so that you know it, the board you are using is one of the historically most troubles mobos...I recently saw a site with 350 negative posts on that board alone, so let's go slow and easy here.

3. Tacocaster

I'm running the spy ware scanners now. I run ad aware on a pretty regular basis, so we should be fairly clean in that department. As for new drivers, I have totally thought about doing that, but for some reason, I've just never made the time to do it. I check into it. And as for the crappy board, I bought it when it was new, on the basis that ASUS normally, and still does, put out solid boards, just not this series.

Edited for spelling.

4. Tacocaster

Alright here is my msconfig startup list:

NvCpl
    nwiz
    NvMcTray
    nvraidservice
    pccguide
    KHALMNPR
    gnotify
    DeadAIM
    UltraMon
    dumprep 0 -k (See edit)
    Autostart IR
    Logitech Setpoint

I cleaned up 31 problems with ewido but thats about right with my weekly ad aware runs. I am looking into the most current drivers now.

EDIT**

Googled dumprep and found that it is supposed ot be there but can be disabled at startup. Found it at the following link.
    http://www.castlecops.com/postt83686.html

5. Tacocaster

I just uninstalled my current video drivers, wasn't completely sure what version I was using, and installed the most recent drivers from the nvidia site, 91.31. Here's hoping.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually there is nothing there in startup that needs to be, I would uncheck everything and reboot. But how come no antivirus program running in background? That is not very safe today.
    Oh and after installing nvidia drivers go back in and take these out again:
    NvCpl
    nwiz
    NvMcTray
    nvraidservice

7. Tacocaster

Im running pc-cillin from trend micro for anti virus.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK I missed the pcc guide which is part of that but I didn't think the whole startup entry. Are you sure it starts up with Windows?
    Maybe you need to reinstall Pc Cillan. What version is it?

9. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Sounds like a file-system problem to me.
    Potentially far too complicated to troubleshoot across the Internet, but you could check your page file settings (virtual memory), run defragmenter on the drives, try checkdisk and maybe something like HDDregenerator to look for file damage bad sectors etc....

10. Tacocaster

Yeah pccguide is there and checked. So it is running. It's Version 12.4.1015

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice