1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Sucking Up Bandwidth

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Capnbob, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Capnbob

Capnbob Thread Starter

I'm sharing an internet connection with my step-dad's computer. For some reason after his computer had been running for a while (couple hours) it starts to use up huge amounts of bandwidth. When I check the status of his connection it says he's sending and receiving millions of packets. This is when the computer is idle and no programs are running.

I've run a Norton scan, Spybot scan, and Adaware scan but nothing seems to be wrong. Also, I've posted the HijackThis log on TSG forums and it's apparently very clean.

Restarting the computer takes care of the problem. Unfortunately, I can't always restart the computer as I wish because it's not mine and there's sometimes programs running and whatnot that I wouldn't want to interrupt.

I don't know where to go from here??

Any help is appreciated!

-Cap'n Bob

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

Stupid question, but...you are sharing the connection how? A router? What kind/type/etc?

3. Pancake

Pancake

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220887