Computer Suddenly Molasses Slow

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Matt345

Hello, I purchased a pretty high spec PC about a year and a half ago. I'm typically able to navigate the desktop with ease and open programs in about a second or two. Yesterday, when I turned on my computer, it was running normally. I left it on during the day, which I normally do, and when I came back later that night, I noticed that the PC was suddenly taking forever to open any program. Google Chrome usually takes about 2 seconds to open however I timed it this morning and it took 1 minute and 5 seconds to open. Even opening file explorer takes about 30 seconds. Once I actually get into the programs, they run at their normal speeds. I've tried to troubleshoot the problem and narrowed it down to a software issue. I've tried re-booting my system several times. I have Windows 10 installed on a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB SSD, I de-fragmented the drive last night and freed up about 50GB of storage, my boot drive was practically full, so I thought it could have been caused by that. My ram is still working properly, I have 16GB 3000mhz ddr4. My CPU (Intel i5 8600K) is running idle at about 30 degrees, which is normal for me because I have it overclocked, although that's never caused me any troubles. I made sure my AIO water cooler was still working, which it is. I noticed that adobe creative cloud gives me a notice that "is needed to resolve this issue, is missing or damaged. Please click repair to resolve the issue" I do this, but it comes back every time I reboot, I don't believe this is tied to my performance problems. I decided that I would run my anti-virus software (Malwarebytes) to see if it's just a virus or something, but I've been stuck on "checking for updates" for over 12 hours now, so it hasn't started to scan my PC yet. Obviously Windows defender is no help because it doesn't find any problems. I'm just confused as to why this is happening and how I'm supposed to fix it. It may also be that my version of Windows is corrupted and I need to purchase a new copy. Hope to hear back soon.

Matt345

I fixed the problem. It turns out that my anti-virus software was broken and needed to be repaired. The program searching for updates was causing my PC to act slow.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online